Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Image Measurements

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I would like to develop an image processing software:

1) Measure various lengths and angles of different image characteristics (this is manually done by the user).

2) The measurements are first corrected by input calibration such as angle and pixel-to-length (e.g 1024pixels = 1mm). After which, measurement values should be displayed on the image as a unit of measurement (e.g cm/mm).

3) Measured lines should also be displayed together with the values.

4) Every measurement taken is also recorded in a table for extraction.

Most of the steps above are doable with the NI Vision Assistant, however I am looking to develop a similar interface with LabVIEW alone.

I've tried to create a LabVIEW VI after generating the code with NI Vision Assistant but it doesn't quite work the same.

Appreciate any help/advise.

Sable

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(2,825 Views)

What do you mean by "it doesn't quite work the same"?

I'd be interested in understanding the differences. The code generated should produce the exact same results as in Vision Assistant.

The only difference, for some steps should be the overlay.

Another software you might want to evaluate is Vision Builder for Automated Inspection:

http://www.ni.com/en-us/shop/electronic-test-instrumentation/application-software-for-electronic-tes...

It allows you to create your own custom user interface as a front end to the Visual Inspection.

Christophe

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(2,804 Views)

Christophe,

The results are the same but I want the operation function.

In VA2016, I am able to make multiple length and angle measurements. Each line is an overlay directly on the image. Though the values are not shown on the image, I still see them in the Results table below.

When I generate the vi code, It will run only once based on what I measured on VA. The lines and angles are not displayed.

I am looking for something similar to VA where I can make multiple measurements on the fly with the lines/angles together with the values displayed directly on the image.

I've attached a screenshot of the VA and also the .vi code for reference.

Sable

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(2,794 Views)

If it work in Vision Assistant, it should also work on LabVIEW. Based on what I see, you manually code the LabVIEW vi you attached which explains the differences. You can actually use the Vision Assistant to automatically convert what it does to a LabVIEW code for you. So there should not be any problem.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(2,779 Views)

I used the function within VA to generate the LabVIEW.vi you saw (refer attached screenshot).

Is there another way to do this?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(2,774 Views)

Have you checked the "Results (Measure 1)" String Array Output? Isn't it the same as the measurements you are seeing on Vision Assistant? It should be there.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(2,769 Views)

The results is the same but the way the .vi works is different. It runs only once, without the option to make length or angular measurements on the fly. I want an interface whereby the user can make measurements on the fly other than what was done on VA.

Basically I want it to work exactly the way the VA interface does when making measurements, users can load an image then make multiple measurements on that image. Measurement lines and angles are displayed on the image itself and saved in a table.

Think of it as a measurement tool (e.g Image J).

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(2,764 Views)

Based from how you are describing the scenario, I think it is not a problem with VA but the the way you want to execute it. Basically, you just converted your VA code to LabVIEW code, so think of it as just a piece of Subvi. Maybe you are thinking of something to make the code run continuously, then you need to do a little more modification on the code generated. As you can see, there is no while loop etc, and thus it will only run once.

Remember the basic Labview architectures (state-machine, producer-consumer, etc.), 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(2,759 Views)

So it is possible for me to edit the Sub VI to work the way VA does?

If yes, can you please advise me on how to overlay the measurement lines on the image and do angle measurements?

Using the Image Out ROI, the lines are not overlaid nor do I have the option to draw an angle.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(2,756 Views)

Can anyone help with my request?

How to overlay the measurement lines on the image and do angle measurements?

I also would like to edit the type of lines that appear on the image, e.g line width, end type, etc.

Sable

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(2,737 Views)