cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Identify obscure LabVIEW method

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all,

I am updating a LabVIEW project that was written in 3.x and I have come across a LabVIEW method that I have never seen before and I cannot figure out what it's doing.

Any ideas?

Message 1 of 28
(3,964 Views)
Reading records from a database or file? I dont know but it is an interesting one. I hope someone can give more info.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 28
(3,928 Views)

Do you still have LV 3 on any computers?  I'm guessing it predates Windows 95!

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 28
(3,918 Views)
I have a copy of lv 5 eval. Do you think it will help solve this? what are the chances of installing on windows 7?
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 28
(3,907 Views)
Solution
Accepted by m3rl3n

@m3rl3n wrote:

Hi all,

I am updating a LabVIEW project that was written in 3.x and I have come across a LabVIEW method that I have never seen before and I cannot figure out what it's doing.

Any ideas?

What "method" are you talking about? I don't see any.

To get that frame, just right-click any subVI and select "enable database access".

Message 5 of 28
(3,906 Views)

@Michael_78 wrote:
I have a copy of lv 5 eval. Do you think it will help solve this? what are the chances of installing on windows 7?

Even LabVIEW 5 cannot open LabVIEW 3. You need a conversion kit.

What exactly do you need to "solve"?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 28
(3,900 Views)
Ok. Thanks. The OP asked what the function shown does. I thought going back as far as 5 may have helped, it was worth a shot. At the same time I knew you would know what it was and could help him straight away 😉
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 28
(3,888 Views)

Right-clicking on the node and selecting "help" should bring up the help menu?  I'm not sure that option exists in LV 3 though.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 28
(3,882 Views)

altenbach is right, this feature is still available in LabVIEW today. Here it is in LabVIEW 2013:

enable database.png

P.S. - Nobody actually uses this feature. 😛

Message 9 of 28
(3,872 Views)

Well that qualifies for the "You learn something new every day" award Smiley Surprised

From the help (Since it is obscure, like the incompatable vi RCM option to Do not "View as Icon" feature) 

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 10 of 28
(3,854 Views)