Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ideas to restructure program without popups LABVIEW 7.0

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I am working with Labview 7.0.

Can someone help suggest a structure on how to architect a current program I have.

It is currently calling for a main.vi

that looks like this

Untitled.png

Untitled2.png

within this flow of sequence diagrams,

it calls for test sequencer.vi

that looks like this

Untitled3.png

then when it runs...it calls for

Untitled4.png

throughout the ATP, there are many popup messages asking the user to prompt OKAY, PASS OR FAIL, ETC.

along with status of cool down timer.

This programs has over 50 popup messages and windows keep going on and off the screen on a one CRT monitor.

Which makes it not easy on the eyes.

Can someone suggest a program structure so I can look into implementing something like this?

Untitled5.png

Thanks for your help!

Best regards,
Krispiekream
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,860 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author krispiekream

My initial thought is Subpanels.  You can load the front panels of a VI into the subpanel instead of having another window open up.

My other thought while reading your post was State Machine for the sequencing and then another loop with an Event Structure for handling the GUI updates (hint: look into User Events).

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 6
(2,833 Views)

i think creating the subpanels will be easiest.

ill attempt to do that first and see.

I have used user events before. it just have been a while. I have to look into it again.

thanks!

Best regards,
Krispiekream
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,792 Views)

For simple messages that might want to be displayed at certain times in a program, I wrote a VI I called "Bulletin Board" that had a reference to a String Indicator on the Main Front Panel, a message to be displayed, and some formatting information (such as Font Size, Color, etc.).  When called, it formatted and wrote the message into the indicated String.

I only had a single Message (typically an Instruction to the User -- "Weigh the Sample", "Put Sample in Test Chamber", "Start the Test").  The program would call Bulletin Board with the appropriate Message at the appropriate time.  Of course, this assumes your PopUp can be reduced to a single indicator (like a message string).  

Bob Schor

Message 4 of 6
(2,777 Views)

Untitled6.png

I started using subpanels but once I made changes to my MAIN.VI.

I am getting that error message.

everytime I tried to replace the MAIN.VI once I saved it. It said that I cant replace a VI that's sub sequential.

With that in mind. I tried going back to my main.vi (saved ones) and I received this error message.

Untitled7.png

what am I doing wrong?

how do I go back or move forward with the changes.

Working with windows 2000 is not too fun 😞

Best regards,
Krispiekream
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,756 Views)

@krispiekream wrote:

Working with windows 2000 is not too fun 😞

Wait a minute -- are you using Windows 2000?  Windows XP has been "put out to pasture" by Microsoft, so how much more "dangerous" must Windows 2000 be?  

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,728 Views)