LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ID Query fail

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm currently trying to use the Rigol DP821 instrument and I have the DP821 instrument pack downloaded. However, it won't let me run the program because the ID Query failed in the initialize section of the code. Any ideas? I tried replacing the constant with DP821 as well.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(5,076 Views)

It pulls up Error -1073807346 if that helps any

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16
(5,074 Views)

Why Do I Receive VISA Error -1073807346: The Given Session or Object Reference Is Invalid?

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
Message 3 of 16
(5,060 Views)

That didn't seem to work, It's still pulling up error at ID query

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16
(5,051 Views)

WHAT didn't work?  What did you try?  Can you query the device through NI-MAX?  Don't worry about LabVIEW until you can open a VISA session with your instrument and communicate with it.

Use MAX and goto Devices and Interfaces.  Click on your VISA interface connected to your instrument then open the VISA Test Panel.  You can configure the interface there and use the Input/Output section to query (the *IDN? command is there and should return your device's ID string).

LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019 - Unfortunately now moving back to C#, .NET, Python due to forced change to subscription model by NI. 8^{
Message 5 of 16
(5,044 Views)

Well it is most likely a hardware issue here.

1. Is the instrument on?
  2. Is the instrument plugged in (communications)
  3. Is the instrument in the proper mode (remote?)
  4. Can you see the instrument in NI-MAX?
  5. Is the instrument on the address you think it is? (GPIB)
  6. Are you addressing the instrument properly?  
  7. Are your communication parameters set correctly?

As Niquist was saying, use NI-MAX and the VISA Test Panel to troubleshoot connectivity.

========================
========================
Message 6 of 16
(5,030 Views)

I figured out that the program runs if a False constant is wired so I think that's what I'll stick with for now.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16
(5,023 Views)

@Amanda_Kay wrote:

I figured out that the program runs if a False constant is wired so I think that's what I'll stick with for now.

Thanks!

Remember that this is a self-help forum.  If you could describe, in more detail, what you did to fix it, it will be of more value to someone else who has the same problem.

Right now, it is like saying, "I changed a wire and now my car runs".  🙂

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16
(5,009 Views)

...And please, let it NOT be "I wired a FALSE constant to 'Query ID'" - that's like saying, "I solved the low oil problem by disabling the low oil light".

Failing the Query ID usually means you have the wrong driver installed!

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16
(5,007 Views)

@billko wrote:

...And please, let it NOT be "I wired a FALSE constant to 'Query ID'" - that's like saying, "I solved the low oil problem by disabling the low oil light".

Failing the Query ID usually means you have the wrong driver installed!

Well... Yes and no...

We have several California Instruments AC power sources and Ci AC loads that seem to only respond to an *IDN? query about half of the time.

Been that way for almost 20 years, even the Ci units we bought in the last few years still have the same intermittent *IDN? response issues.

In most of my programs, when searching for or verifying connected instruments I do the *IDN? query like 10 times before I consider it a failure.

========================
========================
Message 10 of 16
(4,995 Views)