From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to run an exe as a window inside a VI

Do you think this is possible to add to a subpanel? For some reason, I cannot get this to work. I have a front panel in which I select to display the front panel of several VIs. Works if I run the front panel on its own, but when I try it as a subpanel.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 21 of 39
(2,448 Views)

Do you have error handing going on?  If the insert fails it will generate an error and tell you why.  In my cases 90% of the time I just have the front panel open already.  To make this more robust you can capture this and close the front panel then attempt another insert.  You may want to look up some subpanel examples on the forums, or make a new thread if you are still having issues.

0 Kudos
Message 22 of 39
(2,425 Views)

Hi all,

I've tried the example with my .NET application (x86 with Winforms). Displaying is working but GUI event handling is not working.

When I click on my .NET application buttons, nothing happens.

Also, MenuBar is always hidden. Not possible to display it.

Do you have an idea about this issue?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 23 of 39
(2,386 Views)

I don't have much experience with .NET applications.  One thing about the UI interactions that might be preventing it from working might be the Z order of windows.  If you have a window on top of another I'm not sure how the interactions will work.  I'm guessing the one with focus will be brought forward just like normal Windows UIs but can't be sure.  No idea about the MenuBar, as I mentioned it is possible the window doesn't abide by the standard MenuBar API and recreates a menu that looks like a native one so other functions that try to show and hide it don't work right.  Basically I'm saying I don't know and can't really help.

0 Kudos
Message 24 of 39
(2,373 Views)

Thanks for your answer. But it's not a good news. Maybe, windows message go to the final destination (my .NET usercontrol) and they may be catched  by LV before.

I'm quite blocked because I really need this feature.

How can we investigate more?

0 Kudos
Message 25 of 39
(2,365 Views)

@maxmont

Something that may help you get some help here on the forums is to post your code, so that people can see it and maybe look into what the issues are that you're running into. 

C. Weeks
Product Support Engineer
NI
0 Kudos
Message 26 of 39
(2,357 Views)

@Hooovahh  a écrit :

I eventually took some of this information and turned it into the Multi Panel Interface as demo'd on LAVA.

Hi, 

This link is very interestting but not available anymore...

Anyone know where we can find the demo code ?

Loïc.W

0 Kudos
Message 27 of 39
(1,960 Views)

@Loïc_fr wrote:

@Hooovahh  a écrit :

I eventually took some of this information and turned it into the Multi Panel Interface as demo'd on LAVA.

Hi, 

This link is very interestting but not available anymore...

Anyone know where we can find the demo code ?

Loïc.W

Its definitely still there. The link to LAVA works, the the source is at the bottom of that first post.  Are you logged into LAVA?  I don't think you can download without being logged in.

0 Kudos
Message 28 of 39
(1,932 Views)

Hi Hooovahh,

Great demo project, its exactly what I need! The only problem is my LV application is x64 and the LVWUtil32.dll is 32 bit. Do you think you could provide an x64 version of the dll, or if it's too much trouble any advice how I could use this in an x64 application? 

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Message 29 of 39
(1,890 Views)

I've been doing LabVIEW for 16 years and have never once used the x64 version of LabVIEW.  Last I knew it only had a subset of toolkit support, and has various 32bit binary call issues as you've mentioned.  I do believe the x64 equivalent functions from Windows should work.

0 Kudos
Message 30 of 39
(1,868 Views)