From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to quickly document code with wrapping text rather than a long line

Solved!
Go to solution

If I want to document a tight region of code, I get frustrated that I have to play textbox resizing games after I finish writing all the words I need. It would be great if there were a way to define the region where text should wrap and then start writing. Has anybody found a workaround for this?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,009 Views)

Oops, well my post wasn't really so helpful since you are already doing that.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,979 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author BenGTD

I just make lines in my text by using Enter or Shift+Enter depending on your options.

Another way would be to create a small amount of text and resize it.  Then you put in the rest of your comments.

You could also make a VI with just the resized text, put it in your user.lib, and add it to the pallets with the "place VI contents" option.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 3 of 5
(2,954 Views)

Thank you. Good to know the documentation text box struggle is real.

Option 1. Yes - small text resize has been a solid go-to for me.
Option 2. The enter approach is good as long as I never plan to make changes to the text.

Option 3. All documentation text boxes aren't the same size. It may be more effort than benefit gained.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,943 Views)

You could write it outside of the tight region and place an arrow.

Maybe it's even better to make the tight section and comment a sub-vi of its own, then place shouldn't be an issue. 🙂

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
Message 5 of 5
(2,898 Views)