LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to measure db with a 6115.

Hi, Im new to programming in LabVIEW and need a little help getting started. I have a MegaPAC with a NI 6115 DAQ card. I need to be able to read the db levels of an analog signal. I dont quite understand how to set this up. Any help would be great.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,540 Views)
Since the DAQ card only does a voltage measurement, you'll have to convert it to dB. For example, to get gain in dB, measure the input in volts, measure the output in volts, and calculate dB by using a formula node or the math functions. db = 20log(Vout/Vin).
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,540 Views)
Rob

The better way to approach the problem is by creating a virtual channel at Measurement and Automation Explorer (MAX).
MAX will allow you to convert the voltage reading at your DAQ input channel into a valid physical number, by scaling the voltage reading.
To create a virtual channel, open up MAX, go to Data Neighborhood, right click at that option and choose create new. Then, choose the option Virtual Channel and follow the steps. It's pretty straight forward. Then you can create a scale that will translate the voltage reading to a physical value.
After that, you can open the Labview example named Continuous Acquisition and Chart Buffered.vi, and, instead of typing the channel number in the channel field, you can type in the virtual channel number you've crea
ted with MAX, then the chart will display the db value instead of the channel number.
You can find that Labview example at: Search Examples->I/O Interfaces-> Data Acquisition->Analog Input-> Continuous Analog Input.
Hope this helps.
Filipe
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,540 Views)