LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to handle errors occurring in a parallel event structure

Hello all

I have a rather ridculous VI with a while loop in a state machine in a state machine and I spent a long time trying to work out how to use a single stop button to stop whichever loops are running. I eventually did this by using a parallel running event structure to set a "stopping" local variable, which I can then use in any loop. However, whenever the user clicks the stop button I normally present a second chance dialog and if they choose to stop, then I generate a custom error message which is picked up and handled in my main state machine. So, currently, this error message is generated in my event structure, but I already have an error path through my main loop and state machines...

I can't see the wood for the trees, so I would be very grateful for any advice on how to incorporate the error handling into the main error path - if this is possible. I have been looking here and here for a good way of handling errors in event structures, amongst other threads, and I figure I can do it by moving the error generating VI out of the event structure and using a second local variable, but is there a better / simpler way?

Thanks for any advice

Ray

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,140 Views)

I forgot to mention that my event structure only exists in order to indicate that the stop button has been pressed to all the other loops.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,120 Views)

Hey Tarsel

What I suggest you do is scrap the event structure as this is added complexity. I would have each state check for stop button being pressed and if it is change to a new state in your state machine that brings the user dialog up and creates the error code.

Thats what I would do.

If you wanted other events to happen apart from the stop button I would suggest changing your architecture to an event driven producer/consumer architecture. Ther is a template for this included in labview if you select new instead of new vi when making a vi.

Cheers

Matthew Trott
Applications Engineer
National Instruments UK
www.ni.com/ask
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,112 Views)