LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to extract every nth element from an existing 1d array

Solved!
Go to solution

What is the R/IQ block called as? Sorry I am a beginner. Could you share the .vi

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 18
(2,513 Views)

Dear johsold,

Can you post the .vi file . I am new to labview.

Regards,

kim!

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 18
(2,504 Views)

Quotient and Remainder

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 18
(2,490 Views)

Hi,

"R/IQ" is rather the Modulo operation, found in the basics math/numerics function palette…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 18
(2,477 Views)

@RavensFan wrote:

Also Reshape Array, then use Index Array to get the row or column of interest.

This is smart!

I'd just use a Mathscript block:

output = input(1:interval:end);

very intuitive...

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 18
(1,965 Views)

@PetheGreat wrote:

This is smart!

very intuitive...

1. I would not recommend to do that.
  2. Don't self-identify your ideas as smart. Seems arrogant.
  3. It's not intuitive to a graphical programmer.
  4. Mathscript costs extra. Many don't have it.
  5. I am sure the performance of pure g code is much better and simpler
  6. ...
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 18
(1,959 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

@PetheGreat wrote:

This is smart!

very intuitive...

1. I would not recommend to do that.
  2. Don't self-identify your ideas as smart. Seems arrogant.
  3. It's not intuitive to a graphical programmer.
  4. Mathscript costs extra. Many don't have it.
  5. I am sure the performance of pure g code is much better and simpler
  6. ...

Well. 

A. I wasn’t being ‘arrogant’ I was saying using reshaping the array into matrix and extract a certain row was a smart move;

B. I don’t know why anyone would read the paragraph that way with cofirmational bias...

C. I’ve never met anyone who started off programming with LabVIEW, so for most people graphic languages is definitely not intuitive. 

D. I’ve talked to my programmer and we should admit each programming language has pros and cons. The flows in LabVIEW aid definitely more logical in some cases, the programming always ends up in a mass. And since LabVIEW does not support zooming in and out, locating different parts of the code is always a pain in a ass. However this many versions of LabVIEW have been promoted and there’s little change in user-friendliness and people are still complaining. 

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 18
(1,939 Views)

@PetheGreat wrote:

@altenbach , the programming always ends up in a mass. And since LabVIEW does not support zooming in and out, locating different parts of the code is always a pain in a ass. . 

Sorry for misunderstanding parts of your post. It is good to be concise, but two-word sound bites are often not clear enough. Looking back, you apparently commented on the "reshape array" solution and I don't fully agree with your assessment because it creates an intermediary potentially gigantic data structure, just to throw most of it away a nanosecond later. Gerd's solutions is probably significantly more efficient. Reshape array does not always operate in-place, so we need to be careful. Sometimes, the LabVIEW compiler does wonders though, and only careful benchmarking will identify the best solution. FOR loops are extremely efficient and their absence is not a reliable factor. 

Creating a mess is a function of the programmer and happens equally with text based code. I have written gigantic LabVIEW programs and they never turned into a mess at any point. The only difference is that with LabVIEW, spaghetti code might actually look like a plate of spaghetti and is thus easier to identify as such. 😄 ... and it actually might still compile and work! 😮

And yes zooming is fully implemented in LabVIEW NXG. Still, I never felt I needed zooming in classic LabVIEW, except when looking at code of others posted in the forum here. 😉 If you need to zoom out, your diagram is too big and wiring would be impossible in a zoomed out state. (Many wires are single-pixel wide and it is not easy to work with fractional pixels without side effects). We do have the navigation window. If you need to zoom in, maybe your monitor is too small for its size, but windows has accessibility features that allows zooming as a workaround.

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 18
(1,925 Views)