LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to convert cluster containing bytes into array of bits?

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a cluster which contains field as follows:

preamble (4 bytes) | SYNC word 1 (2 bytes) | SYNC Word 2 (2 bytes) | Packet_ Counter (4 bytes) | Payload

I would like to convert this struct into a bit stream. I am attaching VI block diagram as screenshot.

packetgen2.PNG

When I run the program in the display panel, I do not get expected result. The result I got is completely different from result I was expecting to get. 

result.PNG

Could you let me know what I might be doing wrong here?

Thank you.

Edit 1: Sorry for being so vague. I tried to find the source of the problem. I noticed that after flatten to string and string to byte array conversion, some unwanted information is being added. The source of the problem is either flatten to string or string to byte array conversion. But I don't know what the problem is....

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 18
(1,534 Views)
Solution
Accepted by labview_wannabe

1. Your Preamble is an array of 16-bit values.  Is that a 2 element array or is it supposed to be 4 U8 values?

2. You are putting your payload before the packet counter.

3. One of the issues with the Flatten To String is that it will prepend the array size.  There is a Boolean input to turn that off.  However, that input is ignored for anything inside of a cluster.

4. Your converting to a Boolean string can be greatly simplified by using Reverse 1D Array and a Format Into String inside of a loop.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 18
(1,501 Views)

Hi @crossrulz,

thank you very much for responding.

Quick question though:

1. As you can see in the screenshot in the question, the sub VI I created tells me that the input is 16 bit whereas in the main VI, the array is specified as U8. How do I correct it? How do I make the sub VI read the input as 4 u( array instead of 2 U16 array, as it is reading now?

2. Yeah..... my bad!! 

3. Why did you do reverse 1D array there? Is it because the LSB and the MSB get interchanged somewhere? Where does it happen?

4. Instead of build array, if I want to use clusters, how do you propose we do that? 

Thanks again.

Warm Regards,

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 18
(1,472 Views)

@labview_wannabe wrote:

Quick question though:

1. As you can see in the screenshot in the question, the sub VI I created tells me that the input is 16 bit whereas in the main VI, the array is specified as U8. How do I correct it? How do I make the sub VI read the input as 4 u( array instead of 2 U16 array, as it is reading now?

2. Yeah..... my bad!! 

3. Why did you do reverse 1D array there? Is it because the LSB and the MSB get interchanged somewhere? Where does it happen?

4. Instead of build array, if I want to use clusters, how do you propose we do that? 

1. Just right-click on the control and change the representation to U8.

3. I reversed the array because of the way you were building the string in the FOR loop of your main VI.

4. Why do you have to use a cluster?  You will have to have an array of bytes of some sort (an array of U8 and a string are literally the same format under the hood) in order to do the ASCII conversion.

GCentral
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 4 of 18
(1,456 Views)

One last question:

How do I convert the string at the end into array of bits? Is it string --> U8 --> Num_to_array --> Bool_to_(0,1)? Or is there a smarter way of doing it?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 18
(1,395 Views)

@labview_wannabe wrote:

How do I convert the string at the end into array of bits? Is it string --> U8 --> Num_to_array --> Bool_to_(0,1)? Or is there a smarter way of doing it?

I skipped that part and just took the byte array straight to your ASCII Binary format.  So I guess the real question is what format do you actually need the data to be in.  Be extremely specific or we will likely be talking past each other.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 18
(1,385 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

@labview_wannabe wrote:

I skipped that part and just took the byte array straight to your ASCII Binary format.  So I guess the real question is what format do you actually need the data to be in.  Be extremely specific or we will likely be talking past each other.

Hi,

So I need something like bitstream in I8 format. If I have string in the form "10001" then the corresponding bitstream must be in the form 10001. Further simulations (like modulation etc) are then done on these bistreams.

I tried to do it on my own. The main file is

main.PNG

And the sub VI is

PacketFormatter.PNG

When I run the main VI, I get string output as 

string output.PNG

I have verified that the string in the sub VI is accurate. So some encoding error happened when performing byte to string conversion.

Also, if I need to verify the bits at the receiver and parse the bitstream, how do I do it? I know that I need to do auto correlation and then peak detection. But how do I parse after the auto correlation? That was the main reason I wanted to use cluster, because it was easier to parse the bitstream into individual fields. Now with just byte array, how do I do that?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 18
(1,370 Views)

Hi wannabe,

why don't you attach the VIs? We cannot edit/debug/run images of code in LabVIEW!

Why are there so many coercion dots?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 18
(1,364 Views)

@GerdW wrote:

Hi wannabe,

why don't you attach the VIs? We cannot edit/debug/run images of code in LabVIEW!

Why are there so many coercion dots?

Here are the vi files. I think the coercion dot mainly due to type mismatch. my bad.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 18
(1,358 Views)

Hi Gerd,

The first file lab1_commlabs_is_fun.vi is the main VI. The other two are sub VI. packet_formatter.vi combines all the byte array into a single array of bytes and then convert it into bits. I am trying to read this bitstreams as string in the main VI where I am getting errors.

In packet_parser.vi file I am trying to parse the bit array into individual fields. I am trying to detect the preamble and then extract the payload. Here too, I am not sure how to proceed. I did try to perform detection by myself, but as you can see, I did make some mistake. 

if you need any other information, please let me know. It is my first time using LabView, so if you want me to raise this as a separate issue, please let me know.

Warm Regards,

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 18
(1,320 Views)