From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Read Numeric Symbols Only within Specific Sequence of a String using Lexical Class Type

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello, 

I had a look at some archive posts regarding reading specific characters in a string. 

One that I was really enticed by was Altenbach's example using Lexical Class Type: Re: Removing non-alpha-numeric characters from a string

Reading_Integers_Only.PNG

I have attached the VI so you can have a look. 

The only drawback at the moment is that I only want to identify the first sequence of numbers and then stop. For example, I have a string which reads: An-54

Currently the VI indicator will be 54 because the for loop goes through the entire string. I actually only want 5 to be read because a special character follows. I am not interested in any numeric (code 3) afterwards. 

Here are a few more examples to clarify what I want to achieve: 

Input: AC1505  

Desired Output: 150 

Input: AI>00005

Desired Output: 0000 

The desired outcome is for the match to occur with only the first sequence of number/s (from left to right) and stop matching once a different code (other than 3) is read. 

Would anyone have any ideas on how to achieve that? 

Many Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,648 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author neunited

Is there any particular reason for using the Lexical Class node here? It's a pretty straightforward regex. If you really want to do it with lexical class, you can make your loop conditional and use a boolean shift register to keep track of whether matching has started.

Message 2 of 5
(2,629 Views)

Lexical Class is a better option performance wise in comparison to the "search and replace all" which is a multipurpose VI. For parsing and matching the lexical class seemed to be a more viable option to use. 

However the issue now is that I actually want to include all minus signs and decimal places, for example:

Input: BK-0.03:

Desired Output : -0.03

One possibility could be by adding further conditions in the case structure or with the use of enums. 

Let me know if you have any better suggestions. 

Many Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,568 Views)

I managed to solve my own query. 

VI attached for your reference. If you have any other alternatives feel free to share them Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,561 Views)

I have my doubts that your lexical processing is more efficient than the regex and the regex is certainly more compact.

In almost all cases, I would expect the performance difference to be negligible. If it is important to you, I'd be curious to see how the benchmarks show out.

I think your approach could be further simplified to use a conditional tunnel on the output. You've also created an artificial stop condition in this case where you had to know that your last digit/term character was 3.

Lexical Digit Grab.png

Your approach is the top one. My regex is the bottom.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,547 Views)