LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Create a GUI and reuse it on a Front Panel

Solved!
Go to solution

I have an application that will set data multiple times (15 times). The same data options are available (repeated) but it is a simple screen that shows the same options 15 different times.

What I want to do is create ONE panel (sub vi, or .CTL or whatever is best) that I can then populate 15 times on the same front panel.

This way if I make changes (i.e. move a control etc..) I do it once and not 15 different times.

How is the best way to do this?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(3,072 Views)

Can you show a screen shot of what you are doing? If I am understanding what you are truing to do I think building a reference array and then updating them through that would be your best bet but I can not tell you that for sure with out seeing what you are really trying to do.

Tim
GHSP
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(3,069 Views)

Here is a screen shot of 3 of the elements. 

So basically, it's groups of the same data, BUT will be used for different events\situations etc.

Ideally, I would want to create one subvi or control or what ever is best approuch. Then I would populate the main panel with up to 15 of these "ITEMS".

The benefit is if I make a cosmetic change, they all get updated.

thanks for the quick feedback.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(3,059 Views)

Combine your controls of one set into a cluster, then create a 1D or 2D array of such clusters.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(3,052 Views)

If I understand you properly, you are wanting to update any cosmetic changes made to a control on the front panel, not transferring the data from one panel to the next.  In this case, use a Strict Type Def control to make these changes.  For updating the data, either of the other suggestions already made should work.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reese, (former CLAD, future CLD)

Some people call me the Space Cowboy!
Some call me the gangster of love.
Some people call me MoReese!
...I'm right here baby, right here, right here, right here at home
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(3,040 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author CarmineS

Thank you. I tried it this morning and i do believe this will work.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(3,009 Views)

@CarmineS wrote:

Thank you. I tried it this morning and i do believe this will work.

Thanks again.

What will work?  What is "this" you speak of?  You marked your post as a solution.  If that's the case, let us know what you did to fix it.  This is a learnig forum.  If not, mark the correct post as the solution.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 7 of 14
(2,996 Views)

@MoReese wrote:

If I understand you properly, you are wanting to update any cosmetic changes made to a control on the front panel, not transferring the data from one panel to the next.  In this case, use a Strict Type Def control to make these changes.  For updating the data, either of the other suggestions already made should work.

If whoever posted this remebers doing so please speak up since I should give you credit...

Strict Type defs can impose some limitations on what we can do with with property nodes but on the other hand I want them all to look the same as when I edit the type def so to get the best of both worlds...

In control editor;

Set control as Strict

File >>> Apply changes

Set control as normal type def

save and continue as normal.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(2,988 Views)

@Ben wrote:

In control editor;

Set control as Strict

File >>> Apply changes

Set control as normal type def

save and continue as normal.

Ben

Interesting.  I never considering this before.  What limitations of property nodes are you referring to with the use of Strict Type defs?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(2,979 Views)

The "THIS" is the two prior posts. First using 1D or 2D arrays AND using strict typedef.

Both together solve my question. Since the number of replies was minimal I thought the solution was obvious.

Hope that helps.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(2,972 Views)