LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I scale an excel spreadsheet printout so that it is only one page wide using the report generation tools?

I have test results that appear in a spreadsheet format--tab delimited text.  I wish to print those results using the report generation tools using an excel format.  Does anyone know how to scale the printout so that I can limit the width to one page?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,542 Views)

Hi Eugene,

Good evening and I hope your well today.

I am not infront of a LabVIEW machine at the moment - so I cant check the API in the Report Generation Toolkit, but I do remember that printing doesn't have many options - I believe number of copies.. being one of afew. 

I guess you could make sure the number of columns/rows weren't bigger than the max size for one page - but I guess your referring more to the options say Excel would give you when you print? If so, have you considered the ActiveX interface for excel. I have helped customers use this to print a range of pages before. I haven't tried it, but I am sure you could experiment alterting printout options.

Please let me know your thoughts,  and i can help you with activeX stuff if you wish.

hope this helps,

Kind Regards
James Hillman
Applications Engineer 2008 to 2009 National Instruments UK & Ireland
Loughborough University UK - 2006 to 2011
Remember Kudos those who help! 😉
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,533 Views)

James,

You are right about what I am looking for.  Here's what I want to do.  When I instruct the program to print, I want it to bring in the tab delimited text, lay it out in a spreadsheet, have the columns automatically adjust width to accommodate the widest data element, and then scale the entire printout so that it is equal to the width of landscape 8 1/2 X 11 paper.

My skills with activeX are very limited.  I have looked for a property to allow scaling and could not find it.  If you could help me with this need I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks so much.

Eugene

Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,514 Views)

Hi Eugene,

Thanks for the update and I hope your well today.

So for the delay...

Do you have any example code which I could use as a base to look into your issue further?

Kind Regards
James Hillman
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,473 Views)

James,

Attached is some code I have tried along with an example tab delimited text file that I would like to print out.  I want the printout to be landscape mode on 8 1/2 X 11 and I want it to automatically adjust to one page wide for the printout.  I would like to have the gridlines printed as well.

Eugene

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,455 Views)

Hi Eugene,

Good afternoon and I hope your well today.

I was looking at your issue again this morning, and started coding some Excel Active X code but then came across the following

Creating a Report in Microsoft Excel Using the LabVIEW Report Generation Toolkit: Introduction

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/3178

The example code includes cell bordering, setting borderes of an array of cells and report layout - landscape for printing.

I would recommend having a look through this, as I feel this largely applys to the area your looking at right now.

Please let me know how you get on,

Kind Regards
James Hillman
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,434 Views)