LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I find which VIs are actively running?

Perhaps this kind of information can only be accurately determined if the VI's are running slow such as in highlight execution.  The question would be equivalent to which VI or subVI currenlty has the slow moving execution dot moving along its wire?

0 Kudos
Message 21 of 36
(905 Views)

No matter how slow, it can't be accurate because there's always a chance of querying the state right before a transition, but yes, there would be less of a chance.

In my case, I want to find which VI among thousands is stuck running, that's blocking execution of other things.

0 Kudos
Message 22 of 36
(898 Views)

There has been this idea floating around for a while, maybe it has even made it to the LV Idea Exchange, that the hierarchy window could have a mode that displays an approximation of the current execution state of your VIs. Of course, the state of the program could change drastically just during the time it takes to draw this state, so it may be difficult to do this in a comprehensible way. Unless there was a way to stop all threads and get an atomic snapshot of the program state, it could easily draw a depiction that was, in fact, impossible. For instance, two subVIs being depicted as called simultaneously when in actuality they are only called sequentially.

OK. I did a quick search for "execution hierarchy" in the LabVIEW Idea Exchange and this is a popular topic. Remember: your votes actually count in the Idea Exchange!

0 Kudos
Message 23 of 36
(893 Views)

Could be useful..... but not for a hierarchy of hundreds or thousands. : (

0 Kudos
Message 24 of 36
(890 Views)

@MegKB wrote:

No matter how slow, it can't be accurate because there's always a chance of querying the state right before a transition, but yes, there would be less of a chance.

In my case, I want to find which VI among thousands is stuck running, that's blocking execution of other things.

Oh, That's a simpler matter.  Just don't write bugs and the point becomes moot.Smiley Very Happy

Spoiler
No wonder why I never needed this beforeSmiley Wink

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 25 of 36
(870 Views)

This is the only thing left I can think of:  For each VI you want to check, make sure its FP is open and in front.  Then ask Windows to hand you an image of the run button (See attachment).

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
Message 26 of 36
(849 Views)

Try this kludge.

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 27 of 36
(806 Views)

Wow, impressive, visual inspection! I thought of this possibility but you actually implemented it, cool!

Unfortunately, I have literally thousands of VIs.  : (  Hope your solution helps somebody out there.

I'm going to move on to other ideas for troubleshooting my problem instead of trying to find out what's currently running.

Thanks, everybody.

0 Kudos
Message 28 of 36
(803 Views)

@MegKB wrote:

Wow, impressive, visual inspection! I thought of this possibility but you actually implemented it, cool!

Unfortunately, I have literally thousands of VIs.  : (  Hope your solution helps somebody out there.

I'm going to move on to other ideas for troubleshooting my problem instead of trying to find out what's currently running.

Thanks, everybody.

Do consider the suggestion to "just not write bugs..."

Debugging does get easier when there are no bugs in the first place

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 29 of 36
(792 Views)

Reallly? Your only contribution is to insinuate that someone "just not write bugs?"

I'm surprised you were given an Alliance membership with an attitude like that.

0 Kudos
Message 30 of 36
(786 Views)