LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I control individual data pins in a parallel port using VISA? i.e i want to use the parallel port as a set of serial ports.

Thank you again Bob!  I think LabVIEW was my major hurdle to get over to create this program.

What is a normal speed for a clock signal being generated at the parallel port?  I know it would depend on your CPU and blah blah blah, but I'm getting a max of about 60kHz.  I expected to see higher, but I also have never done this before.
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 13
(654 Views)
Yes it depends on CPU speed.  If you need a higher speed, you will have to use a high speed DIO board such as NI 6533 or 6534.  I believe that they go up to 20MHz.  Search NI's website for these boards.  They come in PCI and PXI format.  I believe that there is also a USB Hi Speed DIO available, if not from NI then maybe from Measurement Computing.
- tbob

Inventor of the WORM Global
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 13
(645 Views)
I actually have that USB DAQ board from Measurement Computing.  I was thinking about using it, but to keep costs down on this project, it would have been nice to use the parallel port only.  Unfortunatley time is money, and speed is time.  You can never switch fast enough!
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 13
(634 Views)