From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High-Pass Filter Question

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all,

I have a question regarding high-pass filtering in LabVIEW simply based on observation, having never been taught directly about filters.

Post high-pass filtering a signal, with an IIR Butterworth Filter (2nd order) for example, towards time = 0 there's a transition from a 'false' high magnitude to an expected level, as in the attached albeit this is obtained through a Fortran program, as I don't have anything else to hand at the moment.  To minimise the significance, with respect to the rest of the filtered signal, you can increase the sampling time, change the filter settings or even add additional sampling time with the intention of truncating it.

Is there an established method of getting around this?  The reason I ask is because I'm trying to accurately discriminate between laminar and turbulent portions of a velocity signal but towards time = 0, in a completely laminar signal, our method returns false positives for the presence of turbulent structures.  I presume this will always be the case but it's better to ask first and conclude afterwards!

Thanks.

---------------------------------------------------

LabVIEW 8.5 User.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,527 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author cevert73

All filters have an inital transient.  You need to wait until it has settled out or try to compensate for the transient in some way.  Because the transient also depends on the input signal (including any noise), it is generally not feasible to compensate exactly.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,525 Views)

Clicked the wrong button there.

Thanks for that anyway, it's what I thought.

---------------------------------------------------

LabVIEW 8.5 User.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,509 Views)