cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hierarchy Inside LabVIEW

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi everyone, 

I am using LV2019 and trying to call dynamically some VIs from an executable but I have some doubts about the hierarchy that LV creates after building an executable.

First of all, I tried to include the dynamically called VIs in a folder deployed together with the .exe. It worked. 

After this, I tried to include these VI's inside "Application.exe", but using this second option I cannot find these VI anymore, using path variables, i.e. "....../Application.exe/Foo.vi".

I was just curious how LV organizes the files inside the Application.exe, or if it really does? I supposed that because LV Executable used to be a pack of VIs, maybe it is all machine compiled, but then this "include function" wouldn't be useful at all.

Assuming I am doing something wrong, and you can access, here there are few questions:

- Is there any hierarchy that I am not getting?

- Does it work the VI "List files and Folders" from LV? (It dit not work for me).

- Including the VIs inside the "Application.exe" would increase the application overhead, or just when the VIs are in fact called.

Thanks for any help in advance, I've been trying hard to find some documentation here in the forums, but I've just got old topics.

Regards.

Felipe Pinheiro Silva

Follow my blog for LV content!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,315 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author felipe.foz

If you tick the "Labview 8.2 file structure" you'll get a flat internal structure with everythin in the same 'folder', else there'll be a folder structure similar to your code.

List folders don't work in an .exe.

There should be no overhead apart from the extra loading time if you compare a big .exe from a small one.

For your internal path issue, drop some "get VI path" and show them somehow, like a message box, an indicator or a log file to get a good understanding of what's going on.

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
Message 2 of 4
(2,258 Views)

@Yamaeda wrote:

If you tick the "Labview 8.2 file structure" you'll get a flat internal structure with everythin in the same 'folder', else there'll be a folder structure similar to your code.

There should be no overhead apart from the extra loading time if you compare a big .exe from a small one.

For your internal path issue, drop some "get VI path" and show them somehow, like a message box, an indicator or a log file to get a good understanding of what's going on.

/Y

DItto all of that!

The only thing I can add is using "static Refs" to the target VIs will automatically include the dynamic VIs into the exe and there is no need to fuss over the path.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 3 of 4
(2,220 Views)
@Yamaeda wrote:

Interesting. I'll have to change my approach that uses list folders. Maybe it can get these file names list during the build.

/Y

I tried that. It worked and I could see the actual location of the files inside the .exe

Thank you both for the help.

Felipe Pinheiro Silva

Follow my blog for LV content!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,166 Views)