LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hiding Menu Ring Drop-down

Solved!
Go to solution

Is there a way, during development, to hide/disable the appearance of the drop down arrow associated with a Menu Ring indicator.  See the attached image.  The control, obviously, has the drop down, but the indicator (of the same type) also shows the drop down, even though there is no ability to select anything.  The particular GUI I've inherited has very limited real state, and getting rid of the drop down (on the indicators) would allow me to achieve my objective. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,994 Views)

Hi bean,

use a string indicator instead of a ring indicator…

Why use a FP element with a dropdown menu when you don't need this feature?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,987 Views)

Right-click >>> Customize

Click the "wrench" to switch to customize mode

select the arrow

Use the reorder drop down and move to back

Done

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,979 Views)

The problem is that the output required is of numeric (I16) format.  Actually, I have ten+ such drop downs that are contained within a larger typedef, and that cluster is fed into several routines, and also displayed (thus this indicator) on the front panel.  So I don't want to create a new type that requires some conversion ahead of the indicator

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,950 Views)

I tried the "Move to Back" solution and, though it does remove the drop down, two issues remain.

1) the size of the control remains the same.  In other words, the drop down is gone, but the space it took up remains.  And when I try to shrink it in size, the text is overriden and the size is always a minimum of SizeOfDropDown (if that makes sense).

2) If I understood your instructions, I followed the steps within the Type Control (ctl) window.  However, I only want the indicator to have this behavior, not the Control.  Due to issue #1, though, this is a non-issue.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,942 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author mrbean

@mrbean wrote:

I tried the "Move to Back" solution and, though it does remove the drop down, two issues remain.

1) the size of the control remains the same.  In other words, the drop down is gone, but the space it took up remains.  And when I try to shrink it in size, the text is overriden and the size is always a minimum of SizeOfDropDown (if that makes sense).

2) If I understood your instructions, I followed the steps within the Type Control (ctl) window.  However, I only want the indicator to have this behavior, not the Control.  Due to issue #1, though, this is a non-issue.

1) In the same screen that you did the "Move to Back" solution you need to resize the text box containing the text.

2) You need to use two different controls then - one when it is a control and one when it is an indicator.

Message 6 of 8
(3,934 Views)

Hi bean,

ten+ such drop downs that are contained within a larger typedef, and that cluster is fed into several routines, and also displayed (thus this indicator) on the front panel.

Are your dropdowns using a fixed set of options (as they should within a typedef)? Why not use enums then?

For enums you could use a simple FormatIntoString and display the enum value it in a string…

(I'm a big fan of separating data handling from UI representations! :D)

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 7 of 8
(3,915 Views)

@GerdW wrote:

Hi bean,

ten+ such drop downs that are contained within a larger typedef, and that cluster is fed into several routines, and also displayed (thus this indicator) on the front panel.

Are your dropdowns using a fixed set of options (as they should within a typedef)? Why not use enums then?

For enums you could use a simple FormatIntoString and display the enum value it in a string…

(I'm a big fan of separating data handling from UI representations! :D)

Ditto that!

I wish I could recall the exact quote by Micael Avaliotis who once wrote something to the effect;

Your GUI display should not dicate how you represent the data in your code.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,909 Views)