cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with school project

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello everyone

First of all, I would like to apologize for any bad english.

It's not my first language.

Secondly, I'm also sorry for not providing any photo's, programs, and all that

It is also important to note that I HAVE to use LabVIEW 2014 (64-bit)

I have to use a DAQ6501

And the sound is analog, and will go from my phone, to my computer, to the DAQ, to the leds

So let's get to my problem.

I have a project due May 2018

I have to be able to make RGB LEDs change colour to the beat of music,

and I don't know how to start.

My teacher says that I have to use the program downloadable in this link (http://www.ni.com/example/30688/en/) 

For anyone who might download it, you will see 10 steps in the program, but for me, all of these blocks are question marks.

And my questions are;

-Do I really need this program and these blocks to make something like my project? 

-If yes, van anyone help me find them? I feel like I've downloaded every single file on NI's website without result.

(please keep in mind that it has to be compatible with LabVIEW 2014)

I've been stressing a lot, I've been crying a lot, and for a guy that never stresses, I feel completely desperate..

Thanks again to anyone willing to help me out 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 22
(3,673 Views)

Well, you picked the right time to ask - which is waaaaay before it's due.  Also, since you stated right away that this is a school project, we also know how to help you.

According to the link, you will need the Spectral Measurements Toolkit.  Grab a copy of that and the question marks will resolve themselves into VIs.  I'm not sure what it takes to get that toolkit, though.

This isn't an easy task.  By the time you're done, you'll be a LabVIEW expert.  😉

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 22
(3,662 Views)

...And why is it that every time I see someone apologizing for their bad English because it's not their first language, their English is always better than mine?

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 3 of 22
(3,660 Views)

Have your teacher post and I'll accept a Private Message through the forums.

You have been miss directed the requirement is flawed.  The SMT or Spectral Measurements Toolkit is a poor requirement!  first, it isn't free, second it isn't going to help your project.  You are analyzing audio from a PC MIC input and driving a few DI lines in response to the amplitude of various frequency components (Right? this is unclear from the description)

The project would be easy enough to whip out as example code on how a professional would go about doing it but the requirements do need to make sense.

Go ahead and pass this response and offer to assist in the learning of the students to your instructor.  (We can dry those eyes now):smileyhappy:

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 22
(3,647 Views)

@billko wrote:

...And why is it that every time I see someone apologizing for their bad English because it's not their first language, their English is always better than mine?

I've noticed that also.  That the people who say that usually wind up with a message in perfect English, or at least very close.  While there are other people who post and don't suggest they may have English problems wind up with really atrocious English that you can't even decode what they are trying to say.

Thank you to the OP and others for acknowledging they might have a language problem, but then still put in the effort to create a very good English message.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 22
(3,635 Views)

@RavensFan wrote:

@billko wrote:

I've noticed that also.  That the people who say that usually wind up with a message in perfect English, or at least very close.  While there are other people who post and don't suggest they may have English problems wind up with really atrocious English that you can't even decode what they are trying to say.

Thank you to the OP and others for acknowledging they might have a language problem, but then still put in the effort to create a very good English message.

Hey, come on now! I'm not quite as bad as BenSmiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 22
(3,626 Views)

You are analyzing audio from a PC MIC input and driving a few DI lines in response to the amplitude of various frequency components (Right? this is unclear from the description)

I know my message was a bit unclear 

But no, the audio doesn't have to go into a microphone, it has to go "through" a cable, to put it simple.

Without any audio actually being played 

And this is why I need the spectral measurements toolkit according to my teacher..

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 22
(3,600 Views)

Also, how do I quote something?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 22
(3,597 Views)

While you are replying

@Luka_Verhelle wrote:

Also, how do I quote something?

Click hereCapture.png

OK so im figuring Phone plays music.  Plug a cable from the headphone out jack on the phone to the mic input jack on the PC  and "TADA" right?  

with LabVIEW acquire the audio do some signal analysis and drive the Digital outputs to the RGB LEDs via a current amplifying device (the 6501 cannot source enough current for most LEDs)  

What I'm getting to is why you think you need the SMTK to do the analysis? Although, it might be a lot easier if you use at least a LabVIEW Full Dev system I'm fairly certain the advanced math is not in the student/home edition 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 22
(3,592 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

What I'm getting to is why you think you need the SMTK to do the analysis? Although, it might be a lot easier if you use at least a LabVIEW Full Dev system I'm fairly certain the advanced math is not in the student/home edition 

I disagree, to my knowledge the Student Edition has the same features (including advanced math and signal analysis) as the professional dev system (except the application builder - of course).

Regards, Jens

Kudos are welcome...
Message 10 of 22
(3,586 Views)