From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Understanding saving format

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I am using labview 2012 at my place of business. originally it would append to a txt file when I save or append it and it would lay out all the specs similar to this

Title

name 

power 

etc..

but after a while it started saving the fiile like this 

title power

we would open it with MS Excel and it would work perfect like top example now it's doing this does anyone know why. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(2,606 Views)

Hi daddy,

I guess the problem is in your VI where you save to the text file!

Mind to attach the VI?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(2,593 Views)

I don't know what you mean by VI but I been saving it like that since last week and nothing like that ever happened. Today is the first time that happened. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(2,564 Views)

Hi daddy,

so there is a problem with a text file you don't want to attach.

And that text file is created by your VI  - but you also don't want to attach that VI here.

So what kind of help do you expect when you don't want to attach anything needed to spot possible problems?

(Talk with a car mechanic: Hey, my car stopped working. Last week everything was fine. Can you repair it?)

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(2,562 Views)

@daddycardona wrote:

Hello,

I am using labview 2012 at my place of business. originally it would append to a txt file when I save or append it ... 

So what do you do?  Do you start LabVIEW 2012?  Do you open a piece of LabVIEW Code (also known as a VI, a Virtual Instrument) and click the Run button?  If you do this, then please attach the code (the file whose extension is ".vi" that you have been running) and we will take a look at it and try to figure out what is wrong.

If you are doing "something else" to run your LabVIEW program, tell us the steps that you take ("I open the file called XXX, and click on the button marked YYY") so we can understand better and make more helpful comments.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(2,555 Views)

First sorry for the late response. I do everything the exact same way. someone else wrote the program that we use for labview and that person is not there. So basically we have a file called Golden.txt, and use this file for appending a 11 step test to a mimic. Golden is just short for golden standard which we use the same mimic to check and make sure it is still producing the same amount of power or very similar power after we calibrate the heads. I can't attach the spread sheet because it is confidential however, basically what happens to just that file is, it turns the appended file into something unreadable. 

the attached file is an example because that is all the information I am about to give out. 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(2,531 Views)

Hi daddy,

you talk about some text files with garbled content, but then you attach an Excel in a proprietary file format (aka XLSX)…

How should we help here?

All we can do is to state "Yes, the content of that Excel file looks not as probably intended."

When you need more help you need to attach the VI which is used to create those files! The problem is not "in" the text (or XLSX) file, it is in the routine used to create them!

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(2,522 Views)

I can't attach it it's confidential. I am saying this is what happens originally when opened in txt file in Excel and this is what it looks like because I had 2 sheets filled. That was my example however, we made a new file. 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(2,501 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author daddycardona

Hi daddy,

this is what happens originally when opened in txt file in Excel and this is what it looks like because I had 2 sheets filled.

You have the words "text file", "Excel" and "2 sheets" in one sentence. This sounds horribly wrong to me!

You EITHER work with Excel files (aka XLS/XLSX), which can have (among other things) several worksheets.

OR you work with (plain or formatted) text files, which only contain text. No sheets, no formatting, no fancy stuff. Just ONE sheet of data, maybe delimited using tabs , commas or semicolons.

Now ask yourself (or write us): did you mix those two very different file formats?

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(2,494 Views)

Hello daddy,

after answering Gerd's questions you also should explain what steps you take to start your program. Because still it is likely that you start a compiled EXE and then the answers will change.

Considering your answer "I don't know what you mean by VI..." I suppose you are not a LabVIEW- programmer. And with the statement that it's all confident you can't show us the relevant parts of your code (i.e. the appropriate VI). But in this way we are not able to help you.

Perhaps you should think about getting a trustworthy LabVIEW- programmer to maintain your VI.

Greets, Dave
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(2,487 Views)