LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get Error 6 about 50% of time when building Application

How about disabling the the windows indexing feature for the folder that holds your temporary build files?

I have never had this problem for 8 months with LV2011 until today. and it has been failing 4 times in a row for me....

I have just disabled the indexing feature and now it looks fine. 

-------------------------------------------------------------
LabVIEW 2011 newbie >.<

Certified LabVIEW Developer
0 Kudos
Message 51 of 54
(674 Views)

I actually typically see an error 1/error 7 combo related to moving a source VI to the exe destination whenever I have the destination folder open in Windows Explorer. That's an interesting point about Windows indexing...maybe having the folder open makes the Indexing service prioritize that folder? And maybe, because the appbuilder is effectively adding a bunch of files to that folder as it builds, the indexing is happening frequently, so whatever conflict may arise has moer opportunities to happen...?

It would be great if someone from NI could provide an explanation of this behavior.

Here's an example of the error messages (VI names/paths obscured to protect the innocent):

Error Code: 1

Error Source: Error copying files.
Source: C:\Code\Trunk\Software\**********************.vi
Destination: C:\Code\Trunk\Executables\**********************.vi

Invoke Node in AB_Source_VI.lvclass:Set_VI_Path.vi->AB_Source_VI.lvclass:Copy_SourceItem.vi->AB_Build.lvclass:Copy_Files.vi->AB_Application.lvclass:Copy_Files.vi->AB_EXE.lvclass:Copy_Files.vi->AB_Build.lvclass:Build.vi->AB_Application.lvclass:Build.vi->AB_EXE.lvclass:Build.vi->AB_Engine_Build.vi->AB_Build_Invoke.vi->AB_Build_Invoke.vi.ProxyCaller

Method Name: Set Path

Visit the Request Support page at ni.com/ask to learn more about resolving this problem. Use the following information as a reference:

Error 7 occurred at AB_Source_VI.lvclass:Copy_SourceItem.vi -> AB_Build.lvclass:Copy_Files.vi -> AB_Application.lvclass:Copy_Files.vi -> AB_EXE.lvclass:Copy_Files.vi -> AB_Build.lvclass:Build.vi -> AB_Application.lvclass:Build.vi -> AB_EXE.lvclass:Build.vi -> AB_Engine_Build.vi -> AB_Build_Invoke.vi -> AB_Build_Invoke.vi.ProxyCaller

Possible reason(s):

LabVIEW:  File not found. The file might have been moved or deleted, or the file path might be incorrectly formatted for the operating system. For example, use \ as path separators on Windows, : on Mac OS X, and / on Linux. Verify that the path is correct using the command prompt or file explorer.

0 Kudos
Message 52 of 54
(597 Views)

I also get a failed build often, but not always, if I leave Windows Explorer pointed at the build folder. Win 7-32 Home Premium, LV2011, Dell 6540.  Window indexing off, to my knowledge. No other search indexer installed. 

To be honest, I'm not sure if it is an error 6 -- I've stopped looking because I know if I close the Windows Explorer that is pointed at the build folder, the next time I try the build it will work. 

0 Kudos
Message 53 of 54
(581 Views)

later i did some readings from NI that indicated if you have an explorer open at the build output folder, there will be some low level windows process randomly accesses that folder. And if at that time instance, your LV build process is also writing to it, it could result in a file permission issue, which is what we experienced.

-------------------------------------------------------------
LabVIEW 2011 newbie >.<

Certified LabVIEW Developer
0 Kudos
Message 54 of 54
(567 Views)