From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generic Project Error

What rocket scientist thought this would be a useful error message?

generic proj err.png

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,968 Views)

When those pesky bugs keep showing up and you aren't sure what's causing them or how to fix them, it's more "professional" to show a generic error message that means nothing than to let the program crash and burn. 

Smiley Very Happy

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(2,948 Views)

Too emotionally insecure to call it an "unknown" error!  😄

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,929 Views)

Well, it just states that your project is too generic for LabVIEW... Smiley LOL

Message 4 of 9
(2,916 Views)

Hi paul_cardinale,

Generic errors are used because it is very hard to foresee every possible issue users may encounter while using LabVIEW. There are nearly infinite possible architecture options when creating a VI. 

If you can provide some details about your code and when this error is occurring, I may be able to help diagnose the issue.

Regards,

Jared T.

Applications Engineer

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,882 Views)

I have a project that contains several classes.  A number of the classes are child classes, some of them nested 3 deep.

I changed the name of a dynamic dispatch acsessor VI.  For some of the VIs, Save as,,, worked OK; but for a couple of them I had trouble, so I tried deleting them then adding them back.  It was when I tried adding a file to a class that the error occurred.  The next day I tried again and it worked OK.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(2,864 Views)

@PiDi wrote:

When I create code, if it's reasonable, I try to make it generic (I like reusability).  I guess I just went too far.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,863 Views)

@paul_cardinale wrote:

@PiDi wrote:

When I create code, if it's reasonable, I try to make it generic (I like reusability).  I guess I just went too far.

Spoiler
After reading your posts over the years I have to ask "Is there any question that you went too far?".

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,858 Views)

I like to try pushing every button I find.

Message 9 of 9
(2,836 Views)