LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Function generator compatible with LabVIEW

Hi,

I am looking for a cheap function generator (<$1000) that can be controlled by LabVIEW (2015) to primarily generate sine waves of frequency between 1-1000 Hz.  It would be helpful to get suggestions on a function generator that is compatible with LabVIEW as well as fits my needs.

Thanks.

Best,

Sankalp

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(3,779 Views)

You can purchase an NI USB-6002, a multi-function DAQ device, that can be connected to a PC running LabVIEW and generate LabVIEW-generated waveforms using two Analog-output channels.  Other companies also make DAQmx-compatible devices -- a Web search (look for multi-function DAQ devices) will find others that fit your budget.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(3,770 Views)

As long as the function generator has an interface that you have, you should be able to use it in LabVIEW. So, RS232 if you have that (or a usb dongle), GPIB, Ethernet, RS485, etc.. It helps if the device supports SCPI, but it's not essential.

If you have very low budget, and plenty of time, you can even buy an Arduino based function generator. They usually have open source function generator code on it. Then change the Arduino code so you can send serial commands to it over USB, if that isn't in it OoTB. That will be <30$ easily.

EDIT: You might limit your expectations. But the AliExpress Oscilloscope I got for 18$ is worth every cent. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(3,722 Views)

By mistake, I marked the previous response as a "Solution", when I meant to quote it.  I have asked a Moderator to fix this.  I apologize for this clumsiness on my part ...

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(3,709 Views)

@Bob_Schor wrote:

By mistake, I marked the previous response as a "Solution", when I meant to quote it.  I have asked a Moderator to fix this.  I apologize for this clumsiness on my part ...

Bob Schor

If you can mark a post as solution you should be also able to unmark it yourself. Just select the Options pop down menu and in there is the option for that.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(3,699 Views)

Thank you for your responses. I do have a miniLAB 1008 USB DAQ. I was wondering if there is a particular brand or model of a function generator that you can suggest which is priced below $1000. Also, are there particular function generators that come with a LabVIEW driver?

Thanks. 

Best,

Sankalp

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(3,660 Views)

You might want to consider the NI Virtual Bench.  It might be just over budget but the function generator is great, it has labview drivers easy to use and it has many other uses too.  I think it is great value, I use mine nearly everyday. 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(3,655 Views)

This one is $2.45. That right, less then 3 US$... Free shipping to my country.

It only does PWM, but you didn't specify any requirements. It seems to be controllable over RS232 (might need level conversion though).

This one is also RS232 controllable, and does multiple functions. 15 EU.

On ali, there are hundreds of function generators ranging from 1$ DIY to 70-ish up to a few 100$.

Anything specific you need? Bandwidth and maximum frequency could be important... Do you need arbitrary waveforms?

For <1000$, you can get anything as fancy as you want.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(3,638 Views)

Thanks for the reply. I am mostly interested in generating sinusoidal waves of frequency ranging from 1 - 500 Hz and peak to peak voltage between 1-10 V. Through the LabVIEW interface, I wish to sequentially vary the frequency and peak voltage for a given duration. 

Best,

Sankalp 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(3,614 Views)

Hi Michael,

I was wondering if instead of getting the entire NI virtual bench, can i only get the function generator portion of it?

Thanks.

Sankalp

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(3,610 Views)