From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fastest Closed Loop PID Control with USB DAQ-6003

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello all,

I swear I have read forum posts with questions similar to mine, but I cannot locate them anymore.

My system is as follows:

>> 2 Kollmorgen BLDC motors with their respective servo drives

>> A NI USB-6003 DAQ to collect analog shaft position data and write analog torque commands back to the servo drives

>> LabVIEW to process the shaft positions of each motor and send the proper control signal to the USB-6003

Right now, if I set my DAQmx blocks to collect at above 50Hz, the control loop period becomes relatively inconsistent.

I am trying to nail down the bottleneck in my system and I have a hunch from the forum posts [I can no longer locate] that the USB DAQ itself may have some limitations. I'm a PhD student so I have to get rather specific about what the exact issue is...

However, it may very well be that I programmed my DAQmx tasks sub optimally as well. 

I have attached my project. I have 2 subVIs for configuring Analog Input and Output. Saved in LV2015 so hopefully more people can open it. I am using LV2020.

Any first hand experience or documentation people have that addresses some of these issues would be greatly appreciated. I have already read the User Manual for the USB-6003 and read as much as I could locate about the DAQmx blocks. I can't find a document that discusses using them in reference to closed-loop motion control.

Best,

Tom

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(1,180 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author tsr26

Looking at your SubVI_configAnalogInput.vi, I don't know why you aren't getting an error.  You are creating two tasks using the same DAQ (Dev1), and even repeating channels (ai0 and ai1).  But even assuming 2 different DAQs, running two tasks over USB can be problematic.  I would invest in something like a USB-6212 (I have been using these) and put all of your AI channels into a single task.

As far as your analog output, you should not make is a Continuous task.  It can be an on demand task since you just write to it as some general rate.

Now if I was doing this, I would be using a cRIO due to the RT being able to more guarantee a desired rate.  But I am a fan of putting control loops inside of the FPGA, which really sets the loop rate.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 3
(1,145 Views)

I tried disabling the 2nd task which did seem to make the loop latency more consistent.

However, after several attempts to optimize the program for speed and running the VI profiler, I could not get the loop to run any faster than 1kHz and it was very jittery at that speed. Oddly it was most jittery at 500Hz...

I am lucky enough to have been able to borrow a cRIO. I do not have the FPGA module (and can't buy it), but I do have the RT module and am switching over to that target this week.

Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(1,062 Views)