From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fast Fourier Transformation and Arduino

You can use digital read port.vi from the arduino toolkit if you are reading from a digital port, but if it is analog data, you can use the analog to digital.vi for that

Message 11 of 14
(495 Views)

How is the microphone giving you digital data?  (Is it giving you something like an ADC count?)  It sounds like you should be fundamentally getting an analog value, because that's what a microphone gives.   A microphone diaphragm isn't in a 0 or 1 position, it's in some sort of analog position represented by a voltage.  So we need to convert (scale, etc.) whatever digital representation you have into an analog representation before the FFT in order to make sense of it.

Am I understanding things correctly?

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 14
(483 Views)

@User002 wrote:

How is the microphone giving you digital data?  (Is it giving you something like an ADC count?)  It sounds like you should be fundamentally getting an analog value, because that's what a microphone gives.   A microphone diaphragm isn't in a 0 or 1 position, it's in some sort of analog position represented by a voltage.  So we need to convert (scale, etc.) whatever digital representation you have into an analog representation before the FFT in order to make sense of it.

Am I understanding things correctly?

Microphone gives me analog signal of 0-5V range, depended on sound frequency (20 - 20.000 Hz). So in the solution I get so far from this kind guy above you everything is OK. Im just wondering if FFT works as well for analog signals as for digital cause I've never heard about using FFT for analog signals.

And still i need to get frequency somehow, so if I'll use blocks from attached Screen1.png (NI tutorial site) instead of FFT transform block from above, will it really give me frequency of the sound?

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 14
(459 Views)

FFT works great with Analog, I actually wasn't sure how it would work for digital, so I would recommend just taking the analog data and running the FFT. You should be good to go there.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 14
(452 Views)