From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FPGA interface dynamic does not connect with FPGA interface based Vi

Hi all,

I have to use a vi (using an FPGA interface in in its inpouts), in an other Vi (which call directly FPGA Dynamic ( when i opened FPGA reference and configure with an FPGA vi or a bitfile the FPAGA interface take dynamic by default)

but i cannot connect the two vi by they FPGA references (plz see picture).

did anyone had had this problem before and what is the solution for that?

Regards,

SASA

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(4,193 Views)

Hi SASA,

use a typedef for your FPGA reference. Use that typedef in your subVIs and in the OpenFPGARef function call ("Bind FPGA host reference to typedef")…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(4,187 Views)

GerdW wrote:

use a typedef for your FPGA reference. Use that typedef in your subVIs and in the OpenFPGARef function call ("Bind FPGA host reference to typedef")…

Using a Dynamic FPGA Reference is now considered preferable to using a type definition.

You need to modify the FPGA Reference control on the subVI to accept a dynamic VI reference, which you can do by right-clicking on it, then configuring it to accept a dynamic reference containing the controls, indicators, and methods that the subVI accesses on the FPGA.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(4,171 Views)

Hi GerdW,

Thank you.

it works with your solution, but it create another problem with another vi (see picture).

Regards,

SASA

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(4,128 Views)

Hi SASA,

you need to use that typedef in each instance you operate on this FPGA ref…

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(4,118 Views)

OK, i got the point, but the solution that 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(4,113 Views)

Hi SASA,

nathan's solution is proposed for current LabVIEW versions. As I'm limited to LV2011 I cannot comment on this one.

Edit/Correction: Even LV2011 has this "Dynamic FPGA Interface Cast", but I didn't use it so far…

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(4,106 Views)
Sorry, it's not a right click option. Instead you should create a control or indicator from the dynamic FPGA reference wire, or use the Dynamic FPGA Reference constant and change it to a control as explained here:http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371599K-01/lvfpgahosthelp/fpga_dynamic_host_interface/
Note that you can make the dynamic reference a type definition which may be helpful if you're using it in multiple places.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(4,096 Views)

i got the point, just creat controls on the FPGA interface wire and configure to use dynamic mode.

but i saw in the link that its a help page for LV 2014. is it working for LV 2013 i'm using ?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(4,078 Views)

nathan, can you please see the picture attached, it describe that i cannot find  the dynamic box in the configuration

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(4,068 Views)