From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FFT on FPGA

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I'm trying to make the FFT of a signal comes from a P2P FIFO.

I have a VST connetced via P2P to a flexrio. In the flexrio I received an array (A) of 16 elements of I16 type. The elements are the I, Q components of the signal, in other word I have the elements:

A(0) = I(0), A(1) = Q(0), A(2) = I(1), A(3) = Q(1)... A(14) = I(7), A(15) = Q(7).

How can I make the FFT? 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(1,465 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author fabio.int

Please go to NI Example Finder >> Hardware Input and Output >> FlexRIO >> FPGA Fundamentals  >> FFT >> FFT (1 Channel, N Samples).lvproj

From the array of 16 elements of IQ interleaved, first use decimate 1D array function to have two I16 array of 8 elements for real and imaginary.  Then, connect the two arrays to the real and imaginary input of the FFT function in the above example.  

The FFT function with N samples per clock can handle 8 samples per cycle; however, the waveform data in frequency domain is not in the same order as that of time domain.  In the example, reordering the data in frequency domain is accomplished on host-side.  

Depending on what you would like to do after FFT, you may have to choose where you re-order the data in frequency domain, so that it has the same data order as the original data in time domain.  There is no example code to do the re-order on FPGA.  

If VST does not stream waveform continuously, you may not need to use N samples FFT.  For example, if VST acquires 4096 samples upon any type of trigger, and if next trigger does not occur at least within next 8 * 4096 samples, you have time to unpack I and Q array of 8 elements into 1 sample per clock.  This way, FFT does not need to handle 8 samples per clock and it handles 1 sample per clock in stead.  To unpack 8 elements into 1 element, you can refer to a VI on palette; FlexRIO FPGA Libraries >> DRAM FIFO >> Unpacker.

Hope this helps.  

Message 2 of 2
(1,339 Views)