LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FFT of sine wave

when i compute the fft of sine wave, the output doesnt appear to peak signal/ delta signal. in fact it appears as a cluster of random signal at specific frequency

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(1,830 Views)

First.  Please use capitalization in you your sentences.

Second, you describe something here, but the words aren't adequate to understand what you are talking about.  Why don't you attach some pictures.  Perhaps even a VI with the results saved as default and any values in controls saved as default.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(1,796 Views)

You need to show us your VI.

• What is the input (1D array, waveform, dynamic data)?
  • There are many ways to do a FFT. Which function are you using?
  • A FFT is complex. Do you look at the real and imaginary parts? (A pure sine wave has everything in the imaginary part!)
  • What is the meaning of "Peak signal/delta signal". Very ambiguous!
  • If the data does not have timing information, do you correctly transform t0,dt into f0,df?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(1,794 Views)

Hi Amandeep,

Please post picture or upload VIs to enable community member to help and to get the solution at the earliest.

By the way, please find the attached VI of FFT of sine wave, might be helpful.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(1,778 Views)

It looks exactly as I would expect.  You have a peak at the frequency of sine wave, then low level noise; which is expected because the signal is time sliced an quantized.

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(1,738 Views)

If you want to measure properties of a pure sine signal (frequency, amplitude,phase), you should use sine approximation methods (LSME-FIT) or try the tone detection vi. 

DFT (or FFT) can give correct results under very certain conditions... rarely met without good knowledge of digital signal processing. The tone detection vi provided use FFT but care for those conditions (or correct side effects)

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(1,729 Views)

@amandeepkaur wrote:

when i compute the fft of sine wave, the output doesnt appear to peak signal/ delta signal. in fact it appears as a cluster of random signal at specific frequency

A day later and you have not followed up on our questions. Did you solve your problem?

(Also, the term "cluster" has a specific meaning in LabVIEW, but you seem to use it to describe something else).

An FFT of a sine wave is a trivial problem for non-pathalogical data. You get distortions if your input consists of a non-integer number of periods. You might get alias frequencies if your sampling rate is insufficient.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(1,723 Views)

How to calculate the fft of sine wave and plot its real and imaginary parts.

I tried using two methods. The screenshots of both VIs are attached below.

I am not able to obtain a peak value at specific frequency of sine wave.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(1,713 Views)

I have posted the screenshot of VI in my current question in this discussion

forum

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(1,712 Views)

hey!

yes, i have solved my previous problem.

This platform has been of great help.

I think I was not very clear in describing my current problem. I have attached the screenshot of VI in my current ques. Kindly look into it

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(1,709 Views)