LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error opening a VI (LabVIEW: Failed to load dynamic library because of missing external symbols or dependencies, or because of an invalid file format. The file could not be loaded)

Hello all!

Yesterday I worked whole day in a VI and unfortunatly today I got frustrated when I tried to open it. Was given the following error:

LABVIEW: Failed to load dynamic library because of missing external symbols or dependencies, or because of an invalid file format. The file 'ENG633 v1.vi' could not be loaded.

This message repeats when I try to open other a SubVI.

Step-by-step:

1 - I created a copy of the LabVIEW VI example: "FuzzyEx Tanks with PI control". I kept the copy in the same directory of original.

2 - I edited the copy, created SubVI etc

3 - After I've finished my programming journey I closed all the cutted the files (ctrl x) and copied (ctrl v) in other folder.

4 - Then I tried to open a day after and... bug! I couldnt do it 😞

What can I do to open/recover the VI?

I'm using LabVIEW 2016 32-bit in a Windows 10

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(12,541 Views)

In addition, when I try to run the original VI such as any other VI it works...

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(12,522 Views)

I assume that 'ENG633 v1.vi' is the name you assigned to your copy?

We need a bit more information, what sort of changes did you make to the ENG633 file?

How are you trying to open the file, by double clicking on it in the file explorer, using the menu command Open from LabVIEWs front screen, or clicking on it in the list on LabVIEWs front screen?  (If you are clicking on the list to open it, probably is because LabVIEW does not know where it is anymore after you moved it, you need to use one of the other two methods to open the file.)

Jon D
Certified LabVIEW Developer.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(12,503 Views)

I believe I read recently that LV on a Windows 10 machine can corrupt files saved to a network drive.

Q:

Was you rfile stored to the local hard drive or a network drive?

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(12,498 Views)

'ENG633 v1.vi' is the name I assigned to my copy.

In this copy I commented whole block diagram and developed my orwm code (I just wanted the original code as reference). In my code I've only implemented basic functions such as formula node, tdms writing, while, indicators etc.

I've tried to open it by double-click on the file explorer also using menu LabVIEW's command Open and clicking on it in the list on LabVIEW's front screen.

I got the same error when I try to open its SubVI and it has only mathematics operators (sum, multiply, divisor, root square etc).

Both files are stored into local local hard drive!

I have attached the VIs! 'ModeloTanqueCilindrico.vi' is a SubVI of ENG633 v1

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(12,490 Views)

But to open these files I attached I think is required to have Datalogging and Supervisory Control Module and Control Design and Simulation Module (I'm not sure)

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(12,485 Views)

Yeah, those two files are utterly hosed.  They are nothing but 74KB and 7KB of null character.  I'm not sure what happened to cause that though.

Jon D
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(12,482 Views)

I tried to open them and got the same error you did, so I opened them with a hex-editor to see if there was something in the file, and there is literally nothing but the 0x00 value for the entire file.

Jon D
Message 8 of 15
(12,480 Views)

Tks all for replying. So my solution was redo everything Smiley Sad

I hope it does not happens again.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(12,459 Views)

I am also having a similar issue. I have recieved some files from a vendor for thier device (vision sensor). when I try to load the .ctl files i get the same error that failed to load dynamic library because of missing external symbols...

i have checked the files in notepad to make sure there was code in thier. any ideas?

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(11,977 Views)