LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error message launching LabVIEW file: "there was a problem sending the command to the program"

I'm having a problem launching files associated with LabVIEW from a network location, specifically a UNC path mapped to a drive letter, in this case P:

When double-clicking the .ctl file a window appears with the error message: "There was a problem sending the command to the program."

If I click on a .ctl file stored on the C:drive then LabVIEW is launched and opens the file just fine. Also the file will open from either P: or C: if the LabVIEW application has already been opened.

This is a problem as most of the students at my University will most likely open their LabVIEW files directly from their personal storage on the network P: location without first launching LabVIEW so they will see the error. Does anyone know what is causing this to happen and if there is a solution?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(6,018 Views)

Have you seen this thread, do any of the solutions there help? http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabWindows-CVI/quot-There-was-a-problem-sending-the-command-to-the-program-q...

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(6,011 Views)

I tried the solutions related to DDE but they didn't work. I have however fixed the problem which bizarrely is related to the PATH environment variable. There was a rogue entry! Specifically a leading space after a semi-colon for one of the folder paths.

I don't know why this is a particular issue with LabVIEW as the problem doesn't crop up with other software which reads the PATH variable, but a fix is a fix 🙂

I used Process Monitor to figure this out; a useful tool if you can get your head around it.

The offending system event (if you're really interested):

Command Line: "C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2015\LabVIEW.exe" "P:\GenericLabVIEW.ctl"

Process Name: LabVIEW.exe

Event Class: File System
Operation: CreateFile
Result: PATH SYNTAX BAD
Path: \\;LanmanRedirector\;P:00000000000637aa\nask.man.ac.uk\home$\ C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\OPENOFFICE.ORG 3\URE\BIN\dfir_15_0.dll

Message 3 of 3
(5,959 Views)