From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error message launching LabVIEW file: "there was a problem sending the command to the program"

I'm having a problem launching files associated with LabVIEW from a network location, specifically a UNC path mapped to a drive letter, in this case P:

When double-clicking the .ctl file a window appears with the error message: "There was a problem sending the command to the program."

If I click on a .ctl file stored on the C:drive then LabVIEW is launched and opens the file just fine. Also the file will open from either P: or C: if the LabVIEW application has already been opened.

This is a problem as most of the students at my University will most likely open their LabVIEW files directly from their personal storage on the network P: location without first launching LabVIEW so they will see the error. Does anyone know what is causing this to happen and if there is a solution?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(6,009 Views)

Have you seen this thread, do any of the solutions there help? http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabWindows-CVI/quot-There-was-a-problem-sending-the-command-to-the-program-q...

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(6,002 Views)

I tried the solutions related to DDE but they didn't work. I have however fixed the problem which bizarrely is related to the PATH environment variable. There was a rogue entry! Specifically a leading space after a semi-colon for one of the folder paths.

I don't know why this is a particular issue with LabVIEW as the problem doesn't crop up with other software which reads the PATH variable, but a fix is a fix 🙂

I used Process Monitor to figure this out; a useful tool if you can get your head around it.

The offending system event (if you're really interested):

Command Line: "C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2015\LabVIEW.exe" "P:\GenericLabVIEW.ctl"

Process Name: LabVIEW.exe

Event Class: File System
Operation: CreateFile
Result: PATH SYNTAX BAD
Path: \\;LanmanRedirector\;P:00000000000637aa\nask.man.ac.uk\home$\ C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\OPENOFFICE.ORG 3\URE\BIN\dfir_15_0.dll

Message 3 of 3
(5,950 Views)