From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error Cluster Bug Report (LV 2011)

As I was trying to comment on an Idea Exchange Thread, I stumbled upon this bug.

Drop the following on a diagram:

ScreenHunter_003.jpg

Then try to "Create Indicator" from the OR function output:

ScreenHunter_004.jpg

Then Run the VI (or try to compile it using Ravens Fan's favorite trick of Ctrl-Run Arrow). Here is what I get:

ScreenHunter_002.jpg

The VI is now broken.

If I delete the indicator, it doesn't fix the problem. If I delete the operator, it does.

Message 1 of 17
(3,575 Views)

I'll confirm it for LV2011.

I don't know what the expected result should be of OR'ing a cluster.  But the error message that pops up is certainly ambiguous and deep from within LabVIEW.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 17
(3,559 Views)

This is indeed something special...

Nice find!

However, I still find an OR operator with one input a bit weird 🙂

Kind Regards,
Thierry C - CLA, CTA - Senior R&D Engineer (Former Support Engineer) - National Instruments
If someone helped you, let them know. Mark as solved and/or give a kudo. 😉
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 17
(3,558 Views)

Using 2 inputs (expanding the compound) you'll only get a boolean out.

/Y 

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 17
(3,554 Views)

@ThiCop: That's the whole idea of "More Compact Operators"!

@Yamaeda: That was exactly what I was trying to "create": a simple operator that would convert an error cluster into its Boolean component. So I shrunk the operator and to my surprise (but again that may be the "expected" behavior ;-), the output reverted to an error cluster. Then bam!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 17
(3,550 Views)

And then  you didn't use the unbundle by name because it had to be more compact?

Kind Regards,
Thierry C - CLA, CTA - Senior R&D Engineer (Former Support Engineer) - National Instruments
If someone helped you, let them know. Mark as solved and/or give a kudo. 😉
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 17
(3,526 Views)

Except that a single-input OR gate is basically a synonym for a wire.

Mike...

(who thinks trying to assert a copyright on a forum post is really lame -- especially when it doesn't say who is asserting the claim)

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
Message 7 of 17
(3,525 Views)

@ThiCop wrote:

And then  you didn't use the unbundle by name because it had to be more compact?

I did, precisely for this reason.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 17
(3,505 Views)

mikeporter wrote:

(who thinks trying to assert a copyright on a forum post is really lame -- especially when it doesn't say who is asserting the claim)

I couldn't agree more. Moreover I think the whole idea of a signature is annoying. Which is why I turned the option of displaying signatures off. As a matter of fact, even the idea of avatars irritates me. In particular those which try to be original and poke fun at... now I am getting in trouble!

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 17
(3,501 Views)

@X. wrote:

mikeporter wrote:

I couldn't agree more. Moreover I think the whole idea of a signature is annoying. Which is why I turned the option of displaying signatures off. As a matter of fact, even the idea of avatars irritates me. In particular those which try to be original and poke fun at... now I am getting in trouble!

I'm with you on that one! (cough cough hack hack)

I'm better some years than others...

Smiley Wink

back on topic

I agree that no user actions (short of type casting) should crash LV.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 10 of 17
(3,493 Views)