LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error/Bug introduced when building PPL dependant is in symbolic path like Vi.lib (LabVIEW 2018/2019)

Hi all,

Some things really sneak up and surprise you from time to time: if you build a Packed Project Library ( lets call it: PPL_A") that has a dependency on another Packed Project Library which resides in vi.lib (lets call that one "PPL_VILIB"), you are not able to open the Packed Project Library ("PPL_A"). You end up with a dialog box simply stating: "Project or Library File cannot be opened" (see pic).

Any other location other than the LabVIEW symbolic paths (<vilib>, <userlib>) works fine. 

You can also open "PPL_A" if you have the "PPL_VILIB" loaded into memory beforehand. It looks like the second PPL is failing to load into memory as it cannot resolve the path to one of its dependencies, but the behaviour is different than that of it simply being missing - LabVIEW doesn't even try to search for it. At this point its suspiciously looking like a ppl cannot resolve dependencies from a symbolic path or something.

This behaviour is the true for 2018 and 2019, however it seems to be fine for 2014.

To test, try to build a PPL that references another PPL placed in vi.lib. Attached is an example:

1) Build "lib1.lvlibp

2) place "lib1.lvlibp" in <vi.lib>

3) Build "llib2.lvlibp" (which depends on lib1.lvlibp)

4)Close the project and try to open the built lib2.lvlibp

As always, any thoughts on this greatly appreciated: this is a huge wrench in our plans, as you can imagine.

Thanks in advance,

Cris

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,576 Views)

Looks like it is a permissions error. I was able to duplicate the behavior you are seeing, but when I run LabVIEW as administrator I am able to successfully open lib2.lvlibp. Might be a good to contact NI technical support as I imagine this might warrant a CAR.

Can you move the PPLs outside of vi.lib? I wouldn't recommend putting them anyway since they will be removed if LabVIEW is every upgraded/reinstalled.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,540 Views)

Hi Cy-Ribicki,

I'm afraid its not that: I also had the same hopes but it didn't work for me: it lets you open it but is unable to load it, I suspect its the same for you if you check.

NI has opened a CAR for this, I'll keep this thread updated on how it goes;

I'm afraid the PPL in <vi.lib> is a 3rd party product and we cannot change it ourselves at the moment. My hopes was that someone would have an input on changing a LabVIEW symbolic path so we could work something out, if possible.

Thanks,

Cris

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,488 Views)

Hi all,

Just letting you know NI has an open CAR on this. When something is presented as a solution I'll make sure to update here

Best,

cris

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,438 Views)

Hello crandiba,

I know it's an old thread, but any updates on this issue? Having a similar problem.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(1,687 Views)

Hi carlos,

unfortunately no; I would recommend the same as before: move it out of <vi.lib> or change LV version seem to be the applicable solutions at the moment... I will ping NI again in case, and if there is an update I will of course post it here.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(1,557 Views)