LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serial Spectrophotometer Model U-1500 UV/VIS

Hi All,

Here is my question.
I'm trying to connect an spectrophotometer with LAbview 7.1. using the serial port RS232C.
I've got it so far, that I can read everything from the Spectrophotometer to my pc. Thanks to the help VI examples that came with LABview. Meaning I can read the absorption ect ect...

But now I want to write (so I can control the Spectrophotometer from the PC) command to the spectrophotometer with the Advanced Serial read , write VI. But I can't get the command's write, because I can't get it to work.

Reading works fine, writing not. I've went through the manual of the Spectrophotometer, and the command are there that I have to use to let it work, but in someway I'm doing something wrong I can't get it to work.
The reason why I think that is, is because I can (don't know for sure) how to write the "string" to write the command.
I know the command, and I know that to get the communication with the spectrophotometer I have to use the command
"REMOTE" to get it let's say online, but I CAN"T...

can anybody here help me on this?
Do it work?
How is the correct way to write a command to the spectrophotometer?
and give me some example a fully written command.

the Pc specs. are
Windows 2000 Pro (SP4)
Serial Port (RS232C) with cabel (it work, because READIN DOES WORK WITH ME)
Labview 7.1 Pro
Spectrophotometer
Hitachi model U-1500 UV/VIS

pls help...I have a teacher that worked 1.5 year on this and couldn't nothing out of it, and I in 3 weeks have 2 fully written programs to read the spectrophotometer (with time and a specific wavelength and another with absorption of a monster in an area of wavelength)

thanks
Carlos Wever
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(4,698 Views)

Is the instrument expecting a termination character of carriage return or linefeed (may be noted in the manual)? I think you can set these in the advanced example vi's. Use hex code display and try \r and \n.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(4,685 Views)

Hey Analogkid2digitalman

/////

Is the instrument expecting a termination character of carriage return or linefeed (may be noted in the manual)? I think you can set these in the advanced example vi's. Use hex code display and try \r and \n.

/////

this might help I will look further into it. But as you know the adavanced vi's, I am able to "end" (use or don't use) the return character.
any more ideas?
anybody?

thanks
-=LT=-
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(4,680 Views)
Have you tried using Windows Hyperterminal at all as a sanity check?
Verify handshaking method, if any is used.
Verify cabling, even though you can read.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(4,667 Views)
Ok, can you give me some explanation about that handsaking, and hyper thingy..
I'm knew with labview..

thanks
-=LT=-
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(4,662 Views)

Carlos:

Here is a serial port primer from NI. Hopefully your instrument manual has all the details on the port settings and wiring information for the cable.

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/devzoneweb.nsf/Opendoc?openagent&14A5CB349BD18D20862568210005EB0A

If you search support for serial, you will come up with additional info.

Hyperterminal is a communication program the comes with Windows (Start/All Programs/Accessories/Communications) in XP. You select your COM port you are communicating through and then set up the baud rate, stop bits, handshaking, etc). You can then type in instrument commands and elicit responses from your instrument when cabled up to the selected COM port. Can't guarantee it will work, but it has for most serial instruments I have tried it with. The benefit of it is that you can proof out your port settings and cabling, then use the same settings in LV to develop your code.

Good Luck, hope it works out. I will be on vacation next week so I am sure others will help out as needed.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(4,657 Views)
Thanks alot AnalogKid2DigitalMan,
I wil try this option this monday see how far I can get with it.
I know alot of Assembly code ect...but I can't command a spectrophotometer (surely when I'm doing it on a Dutch PC)...
but I surely will try all the advice you gave me, thanks alot!!!!..

thanks
-=LT=-
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(4,649 Views)
Ok, anybody who knows about this problem and can help me pls do,

I've tried your idea and it worked great with Hyperterminal,
but with labview itself, it won't.
I can't even get it to go online.
not even with the Advanced serial vi
or the basics ones.

Any idea how to solve that problem? pls?!

thanks
-=LT=-
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(4,633 Views)
Hi all,

I got a job repairing 1 unit Hitachi U-1500 Spectrophotometer.
The problem is, I don't have the service manual or the user manual.

The current condition, after doing the initialization process, an error "E--3" appears.

Please help, maybe someone can provide a solution.

Thanks
Yon Nevri
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(1,542 Views)