From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Environment customisation, palette/tool menu/vit's

Hey all,

Finally i'm getting round to creating my own LabVIEW palettes and adding items to my tool menu. Unfortunately, i've come across a couple of problems and havn't been able to find the answers browsing other articles.

1. I have created my custom palettes by synchronising with a directory (based on my server). Perfect. Is it possible to change the path of the Templates and Projects folder from C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 8.6\templates and C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 8.6\project respectively so they are also server side?

2. I don't use the File->New->Templates option *ever*. I would much prefer to have my VIT's available on the palette/tool menu. I can add them to the palette. However, when clicked LabVIEW places them on my block diagram (it adds a nice T on the icon so I know its a template but it still defeats the purpose). I'm also aware I can use the place code on block diagram option. However, this appears totally useless for front panels as it places decorations/controls pretty randomly. The other option was to add them to the tool menu but it appears not to accept VIT's

Many Thanks,

Steve

Message Edited by SteveBale on 12-24-2008 04:02 AM
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,513 Views)

No (luckily) you can't move the 'Tools' folder. (in older versions of LabVIEW (4.x or so) the menu item was called Project).

Renaming the actual folder will make a lot of tools unavailable (everything installed from OpenG) for instance.

To create a new instance from a VIT that is located on a palette you have to 'pin' the palette and right click on the icon, this will give you an option to create a new instance.

Ton

Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,490 Views)

Hi,
I made a .vit, and I would like to :

1) set this vi to the palette set.
2) create a new instance of the vi when i put in on the diagram.

TCPlomp wrotet :

To create a new instance from a VIT that is located on a palette you have to 'pin' the palette and right click on the icon, this will give you an option to create a new instance.

Ton

I can inline the .vit, or place the vit on the diagram, but I can not drag the vit on the diagram in order to create a .vi.

Is there a way to create a new vi from a vit in a palette function set ?

Best regards

V-F
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,132 Views)