cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Editing typedefs crash

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello everyone,

I once again have an issue with Typedefs. Sometimes after I edit a typedef LV crashes.

Scenario:

• Opening typedef (Strict)
  • Adding/ Removing/ Moving elements (opened VI now get greyed out elements)
  • Saving the Typedef
  • Closing the Typedef (Again asking me to save -> ok)
  • Crashing

System: PXI, LV 17.0f2 (32bit)

Error Code: Unknown (0x00000000) at EIP=0x689E525F

Had anyone else this issue?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(2,941 Views)

How about including the code (the TypeDef and enough "other things" that we can build/try it, too)?  Maybe a bad LabVIEW install?  Maybe a silly thing inside the TypeDef?  Maybe something else?  Could keep "guessing", I suppose, but don't know how helpful that would be in the absence of data ...

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(2,913 Views)
Solution
Accepted by s.h._tech

I have not seen that issue but I practice safe type defs. 😊

I avoid removing items.

If I do have to remove an item, I do them one at a time and use the "apply changes" and "Save All" after each step.

I keep the VIs that use the type defs open and make sure they see the changes, again one at a time.

I do not call that buggy since I have seen buggy (LV 6.1) and when it comes right down to it, making a bunch of changes and then expecting LV to read our mind when things disappear and new things appear... dogs and cats living together...

So be gentle with the type defs and do not expect miracles.

Ben 

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 3 of 11
(2,906 Views)

The project is quite huge (and some parts may be confidential). I cant reproduce it on a smaller scale (< 5 Typedefs inside a few VIs). The typedef usually consist of a cluster with some controls in it. My guess is that after a certain size, either opened Vis or inside a project,  the recursive changes (nested or not)  are too substantial.

I dont think it is a systematic crash since it does not happen always (even on the same Typedef). Sometimes I get lucky and nothing happens. Since all my opened windows disappear after the crash it is hard to reproduce the precise conditions.

I will be watching this behavior and vary the opened VIs (dependent on the Typedef), maybe I can narrow it down to a certain condition.

My hope was that someone had a similar error since it 'feels' like an UI-Exception not an user error.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(2,903 Views)

You don't by some chance have the Hierarchy screen open at the time of the crash... do you?

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(2,898 Views)

This reminds me of a problem I had about 8-9 years ago when I was first starting to use Network Streams.  I had a TypeDef that was used to define some of the parameters of my Stream data, and found that in some circumstances, if I edited the TypeDef and moved a wire, I got the infamous "We apologize for the inconvenience" message and an offer to sent NI the Crash Dump.  I remember mentioning this to a Presenter from NI talking about Network Streams at the next NIWeek and asking if they knew anything about my crash -- she laughed, and said "Yep, we fixed that bug ...".

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(2,896 Views)

@Ben wrote:

You don't by some chance have the Hierarchy screen open at the time of the crash... do you?

No. Just the project explorer (~5-30 Vis), Notepad++, Gnuplot and an Atmel monitor shell.

@Bob_Schor: It seems like something similar. Wrong place at the wrong time

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(2,882 Views)

Are you using "separate compiled code" on all VIs using the typedefs? If not, I suggest you do, this will minimise the pain of making typedef updates that affect multiple VIs.

Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(2,876 Views)
Solution
Accepted by s.h._tech

@Ben wrote:

I have not seen that issue but I practice safe type defs. 😊

I avoid removing items.

If I do have to remove an item, I do them one at a time and use the "apply changes" and "Save All" after each step.

I keep the VIs that use the type defs open and make sure they see the changes, again one at a time.

I do not call that buggy since I have seen buggy (LV 6.1) and when it comes right down to it, making a bunch of changes and then expecting LV to read our mind when things disappear and new things appear... dogs and cats living together...

So be gentle with the type defs and do not expect miracles.

Ben 

In addition to removing items one at a time (reluctantly, for sure), I move each item to the bottom, apply changes, save all before removing it.  Call me paranoid.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 9 of 11
(2,847 Views)

Bill,

When tending to a dragon, we learn what we can do and not get bitten.

Ben

Message 10 of 11
(2,838 Views)