LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynamic data logger

Dear NI,

I am acquiring the 32 channels of Strain data.. about 1000 Samples/sec. i want to store the all 32 channels of dynamic data ( all samples) for the test of 30mins. which file format that can be utilize for this data logging.?

After, in offline i need to retrieve the channel wise data and to display in graph....

Regards,
Balaji DP
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,701 Views)

I would recommend the TDMS file format. Have a look at the following article:

Introduction to LabVIEW TDM Streaming VIs

Adnan Zafar
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Coleman Technologies
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(2,698 Views)

Balaji,

since the throughput is not too high, you should ask: what application do i want to use in order to represent/analyze the file later on?

Possible formats (suggested) are:

1. TDMS

2. Binary

3. Spreadsheet

Hope this helps,

Norbert 

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,696 Views)

Dear NI,

Supposed i am using DSA card, we know that that can be possible with 100ksample/se. in these case what you suggessted for dynamic logger....?

Regards,
Balaji DP
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(2,686 Views)

Balaji,

the bottleneck in such cases is, provided  proper programming, most often the access to the harddrive. Normal harddrives support something up to 60..80 MB/s depending on the amount of data already on disk.

However, the amount of data written to the disk per timeframe (s) is given by the system, so you propably have to reduce data before writing to file.

Spreadsheets (ASCII) in general waste a lot of memory because each number is represented by many symbols.

Binary is the optimum. Each number has certain data width and there are no delimiters.

TDMS saves adds information to the data. Data is stored binary, so very efficient. So if you do not add too many information or only once in the beginning, TDMS is very comparable to binary files in regard to performance. Since you add additional information, the data could be presented in a better way later on though.

Conclusion:

Use TDMS or binary files if you have to optimize the process of writing to files.

hope this helps,

Norbert 

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,681 Views)

I tried to write the 1000 samples/sec of 32 channel data using TDMS file write.. i run this vi about 15 mins. its near about 2GB....

but i cant able to read this file after writting... it shown error as" Not enough memory to complete this operation"

Regards,
Balaji DP
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(2,671 Views)

Could you post your current approach?

Norbert 

Norbert
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,666 Views)
Find this attachment
Regards,
Balaji DP
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,661 Views)

Balaji,

your loop timing is 100ms, therefore you are writing 10 times the amount of data that you stated in your previous post. I'd say this is the reason for such a huge file....

hope this helps,

Norbert 

[Edit]: The reason for you not be able to read the file is because you want to load the whole file at once. so you need an array with about 2GB, which is not possible if you did not activate the large memory awareness. Even if you did, it is very unlikely that it would work because arrays need contiguous memory. Having 2GB of contiguous RAM available is very unlikely. 

Message Edited by Norbert B on 03-10-2009 07:03 AM
Norbert
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,652 Views)