cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download new version labview without ruining my old code

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi everyone,

Our lab is using labview 11.0 for a long time and we have written a lot of codes for collecting data on it. We just bought a new instrument and we need to use some of their code. However, their code is labview 12.0. We tried to convert it into a previous version, however, since their code is password protected we could not do it.

Another solution would be to use a new labview version on our lab computer. Our university has already bought labview 16.0 so it is possible for us to just use a new version.

First of all, I want to know if there is any easy way that I can update labview 11.0 to 16.0. Do I have to uninstall the old one and download the new one?

If we have to uninstall the old one, since we have written a lot of labview codes on 11.0 version, we wonder if this process would cause some problems on running those codes.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,199 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Phosphates

Hi Phosphates,

We just bought a new instrument and we need to use some of their code. However, their code is labview 12.0. We tried to convert it into a previous version, however, since their code is password protected we could not do it.

Ask the company who sold you the devices with their drivers to downconvert their code…

First of all, I want to know if there is any easy way that I can update labview 11.0 to 16.0. Do I have to uninstall the old one and download the new one?

You don't need to uninstall the older LabVIEW version, you can install the new version next to it.

BUT: hardware drivers (like DAQmx!) will only support the newer LabVIEW version after installation!

If we have to uninstall the old one, since we have written a lot of labview codes on 11.0 version, we wonder if this process would cause some problems on running those codes.

LabVIEW2016 can load all VIs from LabVIEW2011. Makes sure you also install the same drivers and toolkits as you did with your LabVIEW2011 installation…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,190 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Phosphates

For most projects, a simple mass compile should be sufficient as upgrade process.

However a couple of tips:

1. I don't recommend to parallel install multiple LV versions. The reason is simple: If you have multiple versions on a single machine, you always have to double check in which version you are opening VIs in order to NOT mess up with projects in different versions. Solution: Use a virtual machine per LV version. This also addresses Gerd's remark regarding the drivers.
  2. Before updating, create a backup.  If you are using source code control, create a branch for the update.
  3. Keep software life cycles in mind. If you have problems and you are using an old version of LV, support is limited (can result in "Issue not reproducable in current version, make an update!").
  4. Keep bitness constant. If you are using 32bit, stick to it. If not, you could break the code as it might call 32bit DLLs (and other 32bit components). Move to 64bit for new projects if you have no requirement to use existing 32bit components.
Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
Message 3 of 5
(2,176 Views)

Thank you GerdW,

That company has already provided us with the previous version. But in order to prepare for the future, I will take Norbert's and your suggestion to download a virtual machine and new labview into the computer.

Best,

Phosphates

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,118 Views)

Thank you Norbert for your kindly suggestions. I will install a virtual machine as you suggested.

Best,

Phospahtes

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,117 Views)