LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Distribute application without labview run-time engine

Solved!
Go to solution

I read a lot of post saying if the target machine has the same run-time engine installed, then I don't need to distribute the application with labview run-time engine. Somehow this rules doesn't work for me. I have a PC installed labview 2010 development system and has run-time engine 2011 SP1. I also download the same version of run-time engine and installed it in a target PC. When I distribute my labview application, if I select to include the run-time engine in build properties, the application will be able to install and run properly in the target machine; If I don't include the run-time engine, then I wouldn't be able to run the application.

Does anyone help me on this? I don't want to always build the application with the run-time engine since it's quite big

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(3,150 Views)

You need to have the same version of the run-time engine as you used to build the application, so if you build using 2010, then you also need to install the 2010 run-time engine. It will not help to have the 2011SP1 run-time installed. However, once you have the correct run-time, you should only need to install it once. What exact steps are you taking when you install your application on the target computer? Are you uninstalling anything before you install the application? Most importantly, what error occurs when you try to run the application?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16
(3,137 Views)

Could you take a look at my NI software list and let me know what labview run-time engine is really in use?

And in build properties, it actually list addition installer include labview run time engine SP1. If I includes this version of run-time engine and run the installer in target machine, it will still install the run-time engines just like there is no run-time engine installed in the target machine before.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16
(3,115 Views)

What version of LabVIEW are you using to build your application? As you can see, LabVIEW will let you include installers for versions of the run-time that are not the one that will actually be used to run the application. It looks like that's what you're doing here, if you are in fact using LabVIEW 2010 to build the application. What versions of the run-time engine do you have installed on the target computer? Are you starting with a clean target computer?

What happens when you run your application on the target computer without including the run-time engine in the installer, assuming the correct run-time engine is already installed on that target computer?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16
(3,089 Views)

1. The version of labview to build the distribution is 2010.

2. The verison of Run-time engine on target machine is 2011 SP1. This PC has Run-time engine of 7.1 before and it has the other drivers for VISA and 488 too. So it's not a clean PC.

3. It will pop up error : Unable to open resource files.

And I did a repair on targe machine for Run-time engine 2011 SP1. But after repair, the Run-time engine 2011 SP1 disapear for NI software list. If I open MAX to view the software I installed, I can still see it's there. So if I want to remove this  run-time engine, I can't now!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16
(3,084 Views)

If you're building using LabVIEW 2010, then you need the 2010 run-time engine installed on the target computer. The 2011 run-time engine will not work (at least as far as I know). It is fine to have other versions of the run-time engine installed as well, and in fact some NI components require specific versions.

There are occasionally problems installing an older version of LabVIEW after a newer one, and it's always recommended to install them in oldest-to-newest order. I don't know if the run-time engines have the same problem, perhaps installing the 2010 run-time after 2011 causes some conflict.

Have you been able to run your application on the target computer successfully? If so, under what conditions? What happens if you install the 2010 run-time engine on the target, then try to run your application?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16
(3,080 Views)

Yes. I am able to run application if I include the additional installer of Run-time 2011 SP1 in build properties.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16
(3,075 Views)

What if you include the 2010 run-time engine, and not the 2011SP1 run-time? What versions are installed on the target computer?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16
(3,072 Views)

The targe machine has 2011 SP1. It's same as the one I included in additional installer.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16
(3,068 Views)

And if you install the 2010 run-time engine, the one that actually matches the version you're using to build your application?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16
(3,059 Views)