From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between running continuously and While loop

Solved!
Go to solution

I guess the it all comes down to:

The "Run Continuously" button is an IDE feature and shouldn't be used as an actual coding strategy.  Same as the "Pause" and "Highlight Execution" buttons.  (And the breakpoint.)

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 11 of 20
(1,056 Views)

It's just a personal preference. Maybe C prople are more verbose on this.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 20
(923 Views)

@kuashio wrote:

It's NOT a personal preference.  There are real differences between the two.  Please read the whole topic.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 20
(907 Views)

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 20
(903 Views)

@billko  ha escrito:

@kuashio wrote:

It's NOT a personal preference.  There are real differences between the two.  Please read the whole topic.

This forum is a bit tricky: Every comment goes as an answer to the original question. I was talking about the 0x hex thing. Take it easy 🙂 

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 20
(899 Views)

@kuashio wrote:

@billko  ha escrito:

@kuashio wrote:

This forum is a bit tricky: Every comment goes as an answer to the original question. I was talking about the 0x hex thing. Take it easy 🙂 

LOL 😄

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 20
(880 Views)

@kuashio wrote:

No.  Every answer just goes to the end of the thread.  There is no direct connection to the first or any later reply.  If you aren't replying to the previous message where it is obvious in the flow of the thread what you are talking about, then use the quote button to add the text from the message you are replying to.  Edit the quote if necessary to eliminate parts of the message are irrelevant.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 20
(875 Views)

No.  Every answer just goes to the end of the thread.  There is no direct connection to the first or any later reply.  If you aren't replying to the previous message where it is obvious in the flow of the thread what you are talking about, then use the quote button to add the text from the message you are replying to.  Edit the quote if necessary to eliminate parts of the message are irrelevant.

Sure. Thanks, you rock.

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 20
(846 Views)

So, I'll add some more.

Let's start with this exercise: 

• Create a new blank vi.
  • Create two numeric controls X and Y and a STOP Button
  • Create numeric indicator X+Y
  • On the block Diagram drop an ADD primitive and wire it up the obvious way
  • Let's also insert a Slall Dataflow.vim on any wire and create a 500msec constant (no need to burn a CPU core here)
  • Now the tricky part... CTRL+I to launch the VI Properties Dialog Execution page CHECK the box  "Clear Indicators when called" and press Apply

I just heard a whole lot of eyelids snapping open!  Watch the indicator while you run continuously and adjust X and Y.  The math looks a bit off doesn't it? 

Go ahead and drop the while loop and wire up the STOP button. 

Run the vi.  Hallelujah 2+2=4 again!

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 19 of 20
(838 Views)

That should have demonstrated that there is a lot more involved in call setup than you expected in a safe but, observable situation.   The involkng of the clear indicators method, if enabled, is only 1 of many differences between run continuously and running a loop.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 20
(834 Views)