LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Device for studying LabView

You can go really cheap, like 10$-20$ if you buy a USB to I2C converter and some I2C chips.

Some for SPI (the converter often can do I2C and SPI).

Of course an Arduino can do that too, and a lot more. But you'll be programming the Arduino, and won't get the I2C\SPI experience in LabVIEW. 

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 22
(754 Views)

A cheap SRD (I think ~40$) could be fun.

You can make AM or FM receivers. Even DAB+ probably, if you can find a spec for it. There are programs that use them to receive free to air television. So it might be possible to make that in LabVIEW. Probably not a beginners project.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 22
(750 Views)

Thank you very much to everyone involved in the discussion! I'll figure it out. While stopped at SDR.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 22
(739 Views)

@tap1956 wrote:

Thank you very much to everyone involved in the discussion! I'll figure it out. While stopped at SDR.

Yes, SDR, not SRD...

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 22
(736 Views)

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

Of course an Arduino can do that too, and a lot more. But you'll be programming the Arduino, and won't get the I2C\SPI experience in LabVIEW. 

Oh you still can.  LINX allows for loading a set of already written C code that allows the Arduino to interface with LabVIEW pretty well.  It comes with a nice palette of functions already written and I2C and SPI are there.  Among other common Arduino functions.  No need to write Arduino code unless you want to expend the API LINX gives you with more commands.

Message 15 of 22
(732 Views)

> but remember a DAQ device is limited in the voltage range

> it can directly measure. (Usually +/-10 volts) So you will have

> to design and build your own signal conditioning if you want

> to measure household voltages and current

We have a useful app note along these lines:

https://labjack.com/support/app-notes/measuring-high-vac

> Measurement Computing USB-200 ($99)
> Cons: Uses VI's instead of DAQmx

The LabJack U3 would be our similar USB-only option, or the LabJack T4 would be a similar device with Ethernet & USB. I am not very familiar with MCC's interface, but we use VI's that make calls to our library, rather than using NI's DAQmx.  If the intent is only "studying LabVIEW" as is stated in the subject line of this topic, then indeed this might be a "con" as you might want to learn the DAQmx techniques and they are presumably optimized for LabVIEW, but we generally think of this as a "pro" as the interface with our hardware is basically the same in LabVIEW, C/C++, C#, Java, Python, etc.

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 22
(721 Views)

Here's a stupid idea...

Get 2 USB-RS232 adapters and a Null Modem serial cable.  Personally, I have 2 TRENDnet TU-S9 adapters and then a cable from Microcenter, but if shopping Amazon you can use this one: StarTech.com 2m Black DB9 RS232 Serial Null Modem Cable F/F.  All together $30-$40.

But with this setup, you can write code to talk to yourself over two ports.  That's what I did for my presentation: VIWeek 2020/Proper way to communicate over serial

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 17 of 22
(707 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:
It comes with a nice palette of functions already written and I2C and SPI are there. 

So if the goal is to get low level hardware experience (I don't know if it is), you might get more of that if you don't use the Arduino as an interface, as all the fun parts are already done for you.

You probably could if you don't use the available functions, but that's a bit silly.

Anyway, plenty of options with cheap hardware.

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 22
(693 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

Here's a stupid idea...

Get 2 USB-RS232 adapters and a Null Modem serial cable.  Personally, I have 2 TRENDnet TU-S9 adapters and then a cable from Microcenter, but if shopping Amazon you can use this one: StarTech.com 2m Black DB9 RS232 Serial Null Modem Cable F/F.  All together $30-$40.

But with this setup, you can write code to talk to yourself over two ports.  That's what I did for my presentation: VIWeek 2020/Proper way to communicate over serial

You can use com0com for that. No need for hardware! Of course you won't get the hardware experience.

com0com let's you make fake serial ports, route them to tcp\ip ports (com2tcp) or to each other, IIRC. I have used it in the past to monitor serial data.

Also great if you have serial hardware and old software that only excepts a serial port. If you want to use a tcp\ip port and a tcp-to-serial convertor (like a moxa), you can use com2tcp to glue it together.

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 22
(691 Views)

I would look for (a) new or used device(s) you can use later,

a Rigol or the like scope with usb/ ethernet, or a multimeter with a serial/usb?

While boat anchors  could be cheap(and often have service manuals to repair and learn), most of them need a RS488 (GPIB) and the GPIB2NI hardware is not cheap.

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

Message 20 of 22
(677 Views)