LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Default text editor inside project explorer

Well the first pic looks like you are using Total Commander or something similar as your Windows Explorer variant. Not sure how well that plays with the actual file handling registration in the registry.

The second image looks like the German variant of the same dialog that I see when reassigning a new application to a specific file type.

Also I don't need to start Explorer as Admin in order for this to work, although I guess this only changes the settings for the actual user, not on the HKCR hive which would apply to all users. Maybe the tool you see really always changes the association only for the current user, so if you start your favorite explorer clone with administrator rights it changes the association for the admin account, but LabVIEW running in your regular account won't see that change!

If you really want to change that association for all users on your machine you probably have to go into the registry editor yourself and make the changes directly in the HKCR hive of the registry by hand.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 13
(720 Views)

Well, I checked it with the Total Commander AND Windows Explorer, both had to be startet with elevated privileges to change the settings. My Total Commander is set to show the Explorer context menu on Right-Click, so at this point there ist no difference between these tools. And the changed settings affected immediately the behaviour of doubleclicking an INI- File in the Project-Explorer. Btw. I didn't start LabVIEW as an Administrator.

I wonder why you don't have to start the explorer as an administrator. How are your UAC- settings, mine are set to default, which is the second highest security setting.

Greets, Dave
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 13
(710 Views)

I'm not sure how my settings are exactly as that is managed by our IT departement, but we generally have pretty high privilege levels, although not as high as is needed for changes inside the Program Files folder without extra authentification prompt.

My guess is that we work on a even lower UAC level by default than you do and that you have actually two different associations for your files in the registry now, one that applies globally and also gets changed when you start your explorer as admin and one that is for your current user and somehow gets preference when LabVIEW calls the Windows shell to open the specific file type.

Looking in my registry I see a HKCR\.ini setting which contains a Default key "inifile" and a PerceivedType=text key, but redirects to a PersistentHandler with a specific CLSID. HKCR\inifile still has a shell open linking to Notepad, but when looking in the CLSID it redirects to some other CLSIDs.

However in HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.ini\UserChoice I have a key Progid=Applications\notepad++.exe which is the part that defines what the current users default for a particular file type is. It takes precedence over the global setting in HKCR. Somehow the fact that you have to start as admin seems to mess things up as you likely end up changing this setting for the admin user and that won't have any effect for LabVIEW when it runs in your normal user account. 

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 13 of 13
(700 Views)