LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Default text editor inside project explorer

Hi community,

does anyone know if it's possible to change the default text editor inside the project explorer? The current default is windows notepad.

Greetings from Berlin.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(3,756 Views)

Hallo skusie,

I think LabVIEW just opens text files using the default program assigned to txt files. So when you want to use a different text editor you need to change the default program for txt files in Windows…

See you tomorrow at the Andels! (?)

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(3,748 Views)

Hi Gerd,

unfortunately that doesn't work. I already changed the default program for .txt files, but LabVIEW still uses notepad.

See you tomorrow!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(3,736 Views)

Have you tried closing and reopening LabVIEW after having made that change to the default program for .txt files.

I ask because there are many settings within LabVIEW that are only read upon the starting of the development environment.  This may be one of them.  For instance, if you change your time zone, LabVIEW doesn't recognize the new time zone until you restart LV.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(3,703 Views)

Thanks for the hint. But that didn't work aswell.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(3,690 Views)

Witch LV Version are you using?

I tested it with LV 2015 and LV used the choosen default program for txt files in Windows.

It worked without reopening LV.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(3,664 Views)

LV 2013-2016.

Thanks for the test. It still doesn't work in any of the installed labview versions. The windows explorer uses the correct program for opening the text files but labview does not. May be it is a windows issue.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(3,635 Views)

Which Windows Verision do you have?

Which Programm does LV use to open the file?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(3,615 Views)

Something doesn't seem to be setup correctly in your Windows system for file type association. I just tested it by selecting in Explorer a .txt file and choosing to open it with another editor than notepad, setting this as default in the according dialog.

Then opening LabVIEW 2011 and 2014 and adding any .txt file to the project and clicking on it opens in both versions the new editor.

I use Windows 7 on this machine and tried it with Notepad++, my prefered text file editor outside of LabVIEW.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(3,610 Views)

Just to be sure, we talk about the same procedure of setting the default program (shown on my german windows installation):

First:

Start the Windows Browsing Tool of your choice as an Administrator!

Second:

Open with default program.png

Third:

Open with default program 2.png

Make sure to set the checkmark at the lower side.

That should do the job.

P.S. Saw you at the LabVIEW Days last week?

Greets, Dave
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(3,599 Views)