LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Decode a serial protocol

Jesus! just went to the rs422 sniffer link you posted, $1,295 for 485 converter and software!!!!! Thats not right, surely?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Everything should be made as simple as possible but no simpler"
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 35
(1,981 Views)

Lucither wrote:
Jesus! just went to the rs422 sniffer link you posted, $1,295 for 485 converter and software!!!!! Thats not right, surely?

If that converter does a hardware timing of all lines and the software really help to debug serial communication (hard- and software) it might be OK. (seems so , it also support non standard baudrates) .

It's no joy to use a scope for that and a logic analyser isn't cheap and always awailable .. BTDT

Using a scope migt be an idea to measure the baudrate.  If the original hardware use a simple (level) converter and the windows serial port, there is a good chance for standard baudrates and 7 to 8 databits.

It might help to make the cables for a (spare?) load cell as short as possible to reduce noise for testing. 

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

Message 12 of 35
(1,968 Views)

Yes, the price was $1,295. The software has a interesting set of options to make the debugging process easier, but I'm not sure if it's worth the price.

The RS-422/485 sniffer is good, but the materials should be of better quality.

Thanks for the suggestion of a Logic Analyzer! We'll check if we can get one somewhere, though I'm not sure about it Smiley Sad. It seems it may be really helpful. Anyway we'll try with the O-scope to see what we can do.

The original hardware communicates with a DB9 RS485/422 port, so we hope it uses standard baudrates.

The load cells are connected to a control box near the dosiers, and that control box is connected to a PCB which is located in the control system enclosure. Then the PCB is connected to the Touch Panel Computer. We have an spare load cell, but it seems we need the whole setup to do testing.

Thanks to all of you for your time and advice. I'll post here when we find something.

Best regards.

Robst.

Robst - CLD

Using LabVIEW since version 7.0

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 35
(1,952 Views)

Robst,

Link you posted provides a clue as to what might be going on.  It mentions Intel 8051 and Mode 3.  In this case I suspect that Mode 3 refers to the mode that the UART is operating in.  If that is really the case, then I would expect 1 start, 1 stop and 9 data bits.  You will need to use an o-scope to determine baud rate before you go any further.

Message 14 of 35
(1,939 Views)

Hello Wayne:

Thanks a lot for pointing that! Smiley Happy We totally missed it. Now that I can see it I'm pretty sure this is what is going on.

We'll use your suggestion as soon as we get the O-scope.

Thanks a lot!

Robst.

Robst - CLD

Message 15 of 35
(1,908 Views)

Hello Robst!

We have the same problem with Colortronic digital load cell.

Could you please tell whether you decode this protocol?

Thank you in advance,

Yuriy

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 35
(1,406 Views)

Hey Yuri;

This is a really old message forum. 

I would suggest creating a new one so you can get more attention

Cheers

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 35
(1,379 Views)

Hello Yuriy:

Unfortunately we were not able to decode the protocol at that time. However, recently we are considering in taking a look back at this issue because another client  that contacted us also has these kind of cells.  This will be decided soon.

Robst - CLD

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 35
(1,373 Views)

MarisolM and Robst,

Neither of your user icons are showing up in the forums because you have them pointing to a 3rd party website that are probably no longer accessible because nothing shows up.

You should host your customized user icons within the image gallery of your NI web profile, and have the icon setting point to that location.

Message 19 of 35
(1,350 Views)

Nice catch, RavensFan, I had not realized that my icon was missing. I will correct the issue later. Thank you.

Robst - CLD

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 35
(1,327 Views)