From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DAQ.mx?

Solved!
Go to solution

Damn, I'm a mechanical engineering intern too. I'm just starting to learn LabVIEW because we don't have a software guy.

How intensive would it be to upscale a 5.1 to 14.0f?

I'm not sure if I'm even using the right terms here but I think that this is something I'll need to do.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 17
(1,172 Views)
You've already been pointed to the version conversion board and yes, it's something you need to do.

You've also been told that an upgrade from traditional DAQ to DAQmx is non-trivial. Traditional DAQ was the only option with LabVIEW 5.1.
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 17
(1,165 Views)

Neil_Helsel wrote:

How intensive would it be to upscale a 5.1 to 14.0f?

That completely depends on the code.  I recently went through a mess with updating from 7.1 to 2014, which included Traditional DAQ to DAQmx.  Changing over to use DAQmx was definately the hardest part.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 13 of 17
(1,155 Views)

Yes sorry, but you may be in for a big job here.  As said, traditional DAQ is not compatible with DAQmx.  To upgrade from one to the other you will need to understand both.  Traditional to comprehend what the original code was doing, and DAQmx to be able to recreate that functionality.  DAQmx has a learning curve but its power is worth the trouble.  If you're an ME and don't want to take the plunge you really should look into hiring someone to consult with or do the job for you.

LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019 - Unfortunately now moving back to C#, .NET, Python due to forced change to subscription model by NI. 8^{
Message 14 of 17
(1,141 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Neil_Helsel

And just to add to the fun, the VI written in LabVIEW 5 was saved without a block diagram (http://forums.ni.com/t5/Version-Conversion/5-1-to-14-0f/m-p/3152517#U3152517).  Meaning that function will need to be completely rewritten from basically nothing, assuming it is used at all.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 15 of 17
(1,132 Views)

Thanks for all the help. I don't know what I'm going to have to do, becasue I think that that's the crucial subVI that I need to change.

Again thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 17
(1,121 Views)

If you decide to tackle this yourself do your best to describe your intended applicaton and the equipment you have available and we'll do our best to assist... Smiley Happy

LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019 - Unfortunately now moving back to C#, .NET, Python due to forced change to subscription model by NI. 8^{
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 17
(1,094 Views)