LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Polar Plot

Thank you very much for your support.

Please share the VI which is recently modified.

0 Kudos
Message 21 of 25
(1,182 Views)

I understand about the protected vi, but it is so frustrating to see options in the menus on the various levels of vi's in Polar Plot and you make changes, save them as default and on running the vi they all revert to the original default!!!  What's with that?  If the author wants them to be protected, then don't show the option menus!  Gray them out.  I have been struggling with this for days.  I want to turn the grids gray so they are no so overpowering to the data.  I also was successful once in the past with moving the scaling back to the center of the plot, but can't remember how I did it.  Also, it took a while, but I was successful in putting the revolutions per minute labels on the data!  I am not looking to rewrite an entire vi worth of code just to accomplish these two items.  Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Message 22 of 25
(994 Views)

Sometimes while struggling with a complicated problem with many sub-parts (like figuring out how to "roll-your-own" Polar Plot from the built-in LabVIEW X-Y Graph with the ability to have variable Axis options, various Labeling and Line Type options, etc., you can "lose your way" and just keep going around in circles.  I've faced this numerous times, and have developed a number of "Rules for Thorny LabVIEW Routines" (which are remarkably similar to my Rules for LabVIEW Development) that include the following:

• Use a Version Control System (I use Subversion) and be sure to write a Log Entry with every Commit (I've sent mine up to require at least 40 character entries).
  • Commit early, commit often.
  • Especially when developing "algorithms", break out Word, or LaTeX, or whatever you use and Write Documentation, including describing the Algorithms (including any mathematical formulas you are using).
  • Use (many) sub-VIs to "hide the messy details".  Make sure that every sub-VI has an Icon (at a minimum, a 32x32 Box with 2-3 words describing what the sub-VI does, e.g. "Place Cursor Label").  Use the 4-2-2-4 Connector Pane "almost everywhere".  Put Error In/Error Out on lower corners.  Keep Block Diagram to one Laptop Screen size.  Fill in Description with brief "What it does" and all Inputs and Outputs.
  • Find a colleague (or student, or someone with some programming experience, even if only C++ or Matlab) and "walk them through your code", explaining what you are trying to do.  If you find yourself getting "lost in the weeds" explaining "how" you are doing something, rather than what (and "why") you are doing it, this suggests a place to "simplify" (which usually means break it apart into several sub-VIs).
  • Don't be afraid to write little "exploration" sub-VIs to test out small pieces of your algorithm(s).  If you have a chain with 40 links, and one link is weak, the chain will break, and you might have trouble finding the weakness, but if you test each link individually, you can find the one that is weak, fix it (in isolation), thereby fixing the entire chain.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 23 of 25
(984 Views)
Can you share this source VI file? Thank you!
0 Kudos
Message 24 of 25
(577 Views)

Can you please share the VI?

0 Kudos
Message 25 of 25
(569 Views)