LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a 'frames-like' environment.

I'm looking for a way to manage a larger program by using frames. What I'd ultimately like to do is have a high level VI that calls some other VIs based on some selections, but have the called lower level front panel VI load into a frame on the high level VI. The best analogy I could think of is like the old HTML frames. 

If it's easier, I could even load the called VI in a new window. It's not preferable, but it would definitely do if it's an easier solution.

Thanks in advance. Any help is greatly appreciated. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,184 Views)

In LabVIEW there is a front panel component called a "sub-panel", and it can be referenced to do just what you are looking for. It is located in the "containers" sub-pallette of front panel controls. There is some help for the control and examples in the Help/Find Examples

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,178 Views)

Excellent, thank you very much!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,170 Views)

Also, creating real "frames" (aka "panes") by using splitters might be useful. You can move splitters to resize a pane and you can re-position the pane in order to "remove" content.

Using splitters and subpanels together is obviously the best option for a clean, useable UI with more than a bunch of elements, esp. when using plugin-architecture for adding stuff later on.

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,128 Views)