cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy icons between vi's in LV 2009

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all,

I'm used to the basic icon editor from LV8.6 and older. When I had an icon in one vi that I wanted in another, I would open the icon in the editor, use CTRL-C, close the editor, open the default icon in the second vi, and use CTRL-V. This would be my way to copy-paste an icon from one vi to another. I could then tweak it to my heart's content.

In LV 2009 I don't see a way to copy vi icons into the clipboard? If I use the CTRL-C/V method above, I appear to only get one of the layers, rather than the whole thing. There's no Select All option, so I can't copy all layers.

Am I missing something here?

Thoric (CLA, CLED, CTD and LabVIEW Champion)

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 22
(3,732 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Thoric

OK, I've just discovered a lovely feature:

If I drag and drop the icon from vi 1 to the icon of vi 2, it copies it!

Hurrah!

Love it.

Message 2 of 22
(3,731 Views)

Hi Thoric,

The change of the icon editor is actually inviting us to work smarter.

Instead of copying the whole icon we do a "Save As... Template"

Template.PNG 

I believe the quality of my icons have improved since adopting this new feature.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 3 of 22
(3,694 Views)

Hi Ben,

Thanks for that advice. Knowing you find the new editor superior is reassuring.

So far I've found it simply crashes out a lot and leaves me back in the old editor! Smiley Sad

I'll acclimatize eventually.

Cheers!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 22
(3,686 Views)

Thoric wrote:

Hi Ben,

Thanks for that advice. Knowing you find the new editor superior is reassuring.

So far I've found it simply crashes out a lot and leaves me back in the old editor! Smiley Sad

I'll acclimatize eventually.

Cheers!

It stil has some bugs* but it works.

* Entering multiple lines of free text get put in the worng plane.

Ctrl-d or something similar rotates when I don't want it.

Controlling which plane you are working with is a little touchy...

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 5 of 22
(3,672 Views)

Ben wrote:
It stil has some bugs* but it works.

* Entering multiple lines of free text get put in the worng plane.

Ctrl-d or something similar rotates when I don't want it.

Controlling which plane you are working with is a little touchy...

Ben

Yes, I find navigating to Glyphs, and selecting a glyph causes it crash out completely.

If I enter text into the Line 1 text field, then go to Layers and attempt to add a layer and draw something, the text moves around.

If I draw something in a layer first, then go to Text fields to add text, my drawing moves around.

Sometimes the last thing I've done (whether it be add text, or draw something) gets lost when I select OK and leave the editor.

The Layers tab seems to randomly appear and disappear when I launch the editor, I wish it would just either always start invisible, or always start visible.

I'll 'train' myself in time to know what 'not' to do Smiley Happy

Message Edited by Thoric on 04-26-2010 02:40 PM

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 22
(3,669 Views)

Thoric wrote:

Sometimes the last thing I've done (whether it be add text, or draw something) gets lost when I select OK and leave the editor.

I'll 'train' myself in time to know what 'not' to do Smiley Happy

I think I figured that one out last week. An extra click on the icon image will complete the edit. You will see that the layer is missing the final change until you give it one more click to let it know we are done.

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 22
(3,662 Views)

Just FYI:

http://decibel.ni.com/content/groups/enhanced-icon-editor-2009

There is a ZIP file to download that fixes some of the bugs.

I will try to get the majority of the bugs fixed for the next LV release, but I can only fix those I know about. Hence, I am curious why it crashes when you navigate to a glyph/pick a glyph. What do I need to do to reproduce this crash?

Thanks a lot,

Tom

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 22
(3,661 Views)

ThSa wrote:

Just FYI:

http://decibel.ni.com/content/groups/enhanced-icon-editor-2009

There is a ZIP file to download that fixes some of the bugs.

I will try to get the majority of the bugs fixed for the next LV release, but I can only fix those I know about. Hence, I am curious why it crashes when you navigate to a glyph/pick a glyph. What do I need to do to reproduce this crash?

Thanks a lot,

Tom

THat was just a link to a top level discussion.

Question:

My boss has put me on notice not to use third-party code in my development. So where can I look to fing the official NI version?

Ben

Message 9 of 22
(3,654 Views)

The official bug fixes will get released with LV 2010.

The ZIP file contains only fixes that are bowled already.

Tom

Message 10 of 22
(3,649 Views)