From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Controlling other program and synchronizing

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi community, I am working on a project for my internship where I'd like to display messages on a program that runs on a different computer (on a test bench) and here's my two questions:

1- Is it possible to synchronize them, meaning when one of them starts running the other one also runs?

2- Is it possible to display messages on the test bench's front panel from my program using for example connectivity tools?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,208 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Syrine

1- Is it possible to synchronize them, meaning when one of them starts running the other one also runs?

• Yes. In order to do this, I would have a program on the host computer running all the time looking for a signal from the client computer. The client computer would simply send a signal to the host on startup. How do you plan to connect them? TCP? Is latency a concern?

2- Is it possible to display messages on the test bench's front panel from my program using for example connectivity tools?

• Absolutely. The same way the initial signal is sent, any other message can also be sent. You just have to have a send and receive utility on both sides. This can be extended to multiple devices also.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,174 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Syrine

Just make sure you get the concepts right, if you're going for TCP\IP.

You might need to send and receive on both sides. But you only need 1 server and 1 client. Make one end point the server (listener) and the other the client. Regardless which one is server or client, you can send and receive both ways. In other words, the client can also send.

Just pointing out that server\client is not per se sender\receiver. If you miss that concept, you could loose a lot of time at best, or end up with a big mess at worst.

Server\client is related to the way the connection is established. Sender\receiver is how that data travels over the connection. Those two concepts are not connected (pun intended). And the role of Sender and Receiver can switch as well, during a connection. It's basically a two way stream, or it can be if you want to.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,154 Views)

Hi guys,

Thank you for your help, yes Dave i'll be using TCP and thank you CARYA for explaining the difference between them

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,130 Views)