LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Controlling a ring with a second ring

Solved!
Go to solution

I’m trying to figure out how to drive a ring with another ring in LABVIEW.  More specifically, I want the options available in the first ring_1 to control the available options in the second ring_2.  So if ring_1 has options a and b, ring_2 has the options c, d, and e (located in Beam_10) available if option a in ring_1 is selected. If ring_1 has option b selected, ring_2 needs to have the options f, g, and h (located in Beam_16) available.  I’ve tried a couple of different methods, but I where I get stuck is sending the ring_1 dependent options to ring_2.  I’m beginning to think the solution has to do with clusters, but I’m not sure and was wondering if you had any insight into the problem.

jacobpew39_0-1614812507109.png

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,275 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author jacobpew39

Did you get a new box of crayons for Christmas?  It seems you've used every one in the box coloring in that block diagram and front panel!  Please don't do that.  It makes it very hard to read and just doesn't look professional.

Also, I'm concerned about your use of so many event structures and that they are set to lock the front panel.  I can see you possible locking up your VI cold if you don't hit the buttons in just the right order.  Otherwise you'll trigger an event that can't ever be handled because it's in the wrong case and you need a different front panel event to get to it.

As for your original question,  whenever you have an event for the first ring, make sure you can get to handling it, and in that event you select which array of strings and values you want to write to the property node of the 2nd ring.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,236 Views)

Thanks, yeah my screen was starting to hurt my eyes so I changed it to some more neutral colors. Obviously there are multiple screens, so I just started picking.  I'm not sure I saved the file before I uploaded it yesterday, but I just put all of the options in one drop down list for the time being so that I could keep going. I think I came across a post saying something similar to what you just said, but I don't really understand the property node and what its doing there. If you know of any good examples I would appreciate it.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,204 Views)

Got it. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,197 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author jacobpew39

Yeah.  That is still full of nasty colors.

If you search the forums you will find examples.

But here is something that took me 5 minutes.  It is a simple 1 shot VI for the sake of showing the property node.

Click the "Beam" to a setting, then click Run.  You'll see the choices in "Ion" have changed.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,188 Views)

Thanks. That's a better way to do it than I did.  I just used the property node to store the strings then used a separate state to classify the values of the ring. I might go back and change it shortly.

Does labview have a dark theme that I can just select as an option?  

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,180 Views)

@jacobpew39 wrote:

Thanks. That's a better way to do it than I did.  I just used the property node to store the strings then used a separate state to classify the values of the ring. I might go back and change it shortly.

Does labview have a dark theme that I can just select as an option?  

Dark theme is on the wish list

---------------------------------------------
Certified LabVIEW Developer (CLD)
There are two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,177 Views)